Trick to unions?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

What do I need to look for to know I'm unscrewing a union already in the ground?

Oddly enough I say about 75% of the time I tighten the sucker at first before I realize I'm going the wrong way. Is there something I can look for on the union it self to see which way it goes.

Problem is .. there is a ton of different kind of unions and brands which are all different threads and styles ect ect..

2. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Great question. It is hard to tell.

I assume most people are right handed, so my normal unscrew direction is usually my first move.

Never did make a mental note on how often this is true.

3. I guess im confused. Show me an example of a union that might be confusing or doesn't thread in the normal fashion. Can't recall running into too many unions in Dallas.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

I always thought that only unions for gas goes the other way ?

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

They may be different, but I have never seen a reverse threaded plumbing union that I can remember. So with that in mind, it is always counter clockwise to loosen as you look through the union from the female bell end.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Union nuts are not symmetrical, so why it can't be seen which end is which....

7. image?......

8. Dripit good

The female connector on copper unions are symmetrical.

Unless you have a visual of both ends of the female connector I can see it being a guessing game.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No guess if you can see all sides - some copper unions have wrench flats on only one end

10. Dripit good

In this situation it's not easy to see both ends.