1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trick to unions?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you need to see both ends? You can figure it out blind as long as you have a fingernail.
  2. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

I can understand the op's question/concern. It's not always evident knowing initially which side the female connector is screwed on once unearthed.
  3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey what do you know, I agree with you. Unless these guys are seeing some weird kind of union I can't figure why it would take longer than a few seconds to figure out.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

The trick to unions is, they work really slow and take lots of breaks so they can run the clock out to make double time.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

lol. I'm surprised everyone seems so confused

My worst one ever was trying to take out a 2" galvi union from under a dock on a air pumped up floatie boat being upside down trying to unscrew it while tons of waves from the lake was lifting me up and down a few feet.. However I had know clue which way was which

I understand usually it just takes a few moments to realize your going the wrong way.. Just seeing if there was a trick to it..

Kiril says a finger nail? in the dirt 2-3' down?
    I guess there are no tricks..

I was dealing with 2 - 2" brass unions the other day and they were unscrewed opposite from each other.. Meaning when they were installed one was reversed from the other. Breaking loose a 15 year old 2" union is hard enough with out having to go the wrong way and tighten it
  6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

just take an eye out and save the fingernail :rolleyes:
    i don't understand that you can do all of the locating, leak detection and repair work without having a mirror. i think that a mirror on a stick is essential.

righty tighty, mitch, lefty loosey
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Now that would be cool. The all seeing eye. :laugh:
  8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

you called.