1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tricks for mowing in the rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, May 24, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Started raining on Sunday and looks like it's not supposed to stop until this coming Monday. Yikes!

Anybody got any tips for mowing in the rain and making a lawn look as good as it can be?
  2. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

have an awesome mower

wait until it stops raining.
  3. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

I normally bag the clippings on almost all my accounts. I'm thinking of side discharging all this week. Shouldn't clog up that bad.
  4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I know it sucks but I just don't mow in the rain, or if its rained heavily all day. Yesterday it rained pretty good and then had alittle drizzle all day. I could have went out in the afternoon but I just waited, I would of had to double cut all the lawns if I went out yesterday.
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Use double highlifts and cut as high as you can..........
  6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wait it out.. i doubt it will rain all week it's supposed to be like that here too and already most of monday was sunny. I will mow if its light rain but when its heavy it just isnt worth it to me and most of my customers undetstand.
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If you can't wait for the rain to stop then go slow and discharge. No bagging here.

8. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed rutts and black lines from the dirt where the tires are. Looks terrible. If its too bad I don't mow either.
  9. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

So if you miss nearly a whole week and the grass gets real tall, do you eat the labor? I know in some cases I will have to double cut (time) and also spend extra time makin' it look good.

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

My service agreement does not cover this, but it really should. I suspect most people would agree to a double-charge under such circumstances if you spell it out in advance, but after the fact it might be a tough sale.