Tricks of the Trade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ol'time Lawncare, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Two seasons ago i had this old lady call for service,i gave her her Free estimate.She told me how the other guy was charging 25. He didn't weed wack or edge. Just a cut. I really didn't want to do it but for some reason i took her on at 30 a cut with out weedwacking or edging.Every time i drove off it would look terrible! finally one day 8 weeks into the season she comes out and asked if i would weedwack and edge? I told her yes or 30 more bucks. She comes back with, can i please do it for free. I say nope.She starts to cry<but the other guy would do it for free every couple of mouths.I just smiled and kept working.Season ended and i dropped her cause it went on and on! The next season there was another guy there ,just cutting.He lasted a couple of weeks.Then the next guy,did the same thing,.... one day i saw him at the coffee shop and asked about the old lady. He wasn't happy eather cause he was doing the job for 20 and weedwacking and edging.He told me she crys everytime he comes over> is this a trick of the trade!!!

2. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

...but the other guy would do it for free every couple of mouths.I just smiled and kept working.Season ended and i dropped her cause it went on and on! The next season there was another guy there ,just cutting.He lasted a couple of weeks.Then the next guy,did the same thing,.... one day i saw him at the coffee shop and asked about the old lady. He wasn't happy eather cause he was doing the job for 20 and weedwacking and edging.He told me she crys everytime he comes over> is this a trick of the trade!!!

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think doubling the price to weedwack OR edge is a
    reason to make a customer cry..mow for 30 then edge for 30 is way outa line.I would cry too if I were her.

4. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

She has 8 oak trees to trim around,5 flower beds 65 ft long and then around the house witch is about, in length about 200 ft. then her walk way 25 ft. and it was about 3 to 4 tall,lol sorry but 30 wasn't even enough!

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

This Woman is probalyt sick in the head oh and cheap.

6. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

That is why I bid complete, mow, trim, edge and blow clippings from walks and drives. Whole package or nothing, makes life easy that way.

7. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

She a cheapo!!! she hunts lawn guys down, gives them a song and a dance. just so you feel sorry for her,She always begins her sorry with...how the other lawn guy cut her for 25 years for 25 dollars. it's all a trick:dizzy:

8. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

After i learned the HARD-WAY i start this also!!!

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

line trimming and edging is part of mowing the lawn, it should be built into the pricing structure... period....no exceptions, if someone sees a job you did that looks halfed azzed.... thats your reputation on the line....

10. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

My first couple of seasons i wanted every account i could get so i would do anything. Since then i've never taken anything like that.