1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tricks to keep much on steep bank?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by johnnybow, Mar 27, 2011.

1. johnnybow

johnnybow LawnSite Member

Im looking to put in a bed on a steep bank that i would love to be able to mulch and have it stick. Im going to planting blue rug in this bed. Im afraid rain will wash it out if i dont do something extra to keep it in.. Ive heard of people putting chicken wire between the mulch and the weed mat. Any other ideas? thanks
  2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

First, don't use weed block because the mulch will surely run down because it's a steep surface.

Any way you could post of picture of the hill?

A better alternative would be to use river gravel instead of mulch so you don't have to freshen it up every year. However, you would use weed block with river gravel.
  3. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

River rock will be hard to keep on the hill too. Rain won't wash it down, but just walking across it will push it down. I've done it. Of course it depends on the grade.
  4. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Might have to use rip rap
  5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you need to walk across it? Plant the junipers, put down weed fabric, and place the gravel. Shouldn't need to walk on the bed. It's never going to wash and doesn't need replaced, plus the actual material cost is cheaper than mulch.
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We use this stuff called Tack Down from Lesco. Its a spray that comes out blue and dries clear. You can spray it through a good back pack sprayer BUT make sure the sprayer gets cleaned out after use or it will def. plug it all up. We used it around beds and tree rings on a project we did in a downtown area. It worked very well, even a heavy rain didn't effect it. You might even be able to mix it right in the mulch and use a bark blower to shoot it, then you don't have to walk on it. Just a thought.
  7. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

I would use regular shredded hardwood on that project. The bigger chunks of woodchip will allow the mulch to bond tighter and lock together, thus reducing the amount of wash out. If you use something like double shredded where there is more fines or enviro (recycled wood products) mulch the mulch wont bond tight and it will wash out.

Dont use hemlock or any softwood becasue the rain water will get under the mulch quicker since the mulch weighs less than the water and it will cause it to wash out 3xs as fast.

Put a thicker coat on too. I would go with something like 3-4" probably. Ive never heard of that stuff nobagger is talking about, however; it does sound interesting and would be a good idea to do your research on it and possibly experiment with it.
  8. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

Geo-Grid would keep the mulch on the slope. it is a mat system with small voids. It slows down the runoff coming down the slope, thus, no washout.
  9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

take the hill and carve ledge every cpl feet depending on the slope this will work with rock then lay your weed mat I done this to lot 2-1 and 3-1 slopes and stays realy well One thing to remember at top make sure there no water running to the slope
  10. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I step on it good and for the most part it binds together.