Tricks to unrolling drip line

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Does anyone have any tricks that make it easier. I know you roll it out and not pull it from the end but since it's not on a spool it can be a little frustrating working with a 500' roll.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Why not make up a spool?

3. Dirtykneez

Dirtykneez LawnSite Member

That is exactly why we use the 100 footers and the 250's. I got tired of walking around the house to see laborers standing there with a huge roll of netafim that resembled a ball of yarn.:hammerhead:

4. Wet_Boots

You can't swing a dead cat on Long Island without hitting an Irrigation Contractor :)

Welcome to the monkey house, Kneez

5. Dirtykneez

Dirtykneez LawnSite Member

Thanks Boots .. It's the truth. My father started this business in 1980 when it wasn't so saturated. He dragged me around since I was 13 so I wouldn't do it lol and now at 33 I just had a son of my own and I hope and pray he will become a doctor. The Long Island market is crazy, who needs IA certifications and actual plumbing licences when a lawnboy and backback blower makes you just as qualified. Thank god we don't advertise and only work for contractors and refferal work. I went on an estimate the other day for a homeowner who saw one of our trucks. He hands me a quote for 10 zones no backflow for $2050 and asked if I can beat it. Ifso I can have the job. I shook his hand and wished him luck.... Unreal
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Wet_Boots

I expect one or more towns to start jumping into the backflow picture, by way of pre-sale home inspections.

Any year now. :)

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Good idea, might try using an old wire spool.

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Present. You are right, within a mile of my yard I can think of 8 irrigation companies. But most are small like me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

Flip it like poly, curse like i do, and have a guy behind you stapling.

10. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Are you doing rings or grid?
    Posted via Mobile Device