1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tried doing it legal...update:still screwed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Johnson LCO, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I have tried many of the suggestions that were posted to the original problem of being cited by the city of newark for running a business in a residential neighborhood. Anyway, I finally got to the top "supervisor" and he was a complete jack@** and would say nothing but "you cant run a business out of a residential neighborhood." and that he is going to have my house searched and anything business related removed. I tried moving the physical address of the business but he said no go to that, still gotta get rid of everything.

Plain and simple im running out of options. I am currently drafting a letter to Mike Castle, Beau Biden, vance funk and Carper as suggested, but frankly I dont see why they would give a crap and help me at all. The worst part is, I just got a whole bunch of work subbed to me (trimming del and md highways). Any other suggestions on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

On a brighter note, I found out who called and originally complained about me parking on the street and caused this mess. So i have decided to park ALL of my vehicles on the street.
  2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

"Searched, anything business related removed." That is so dumb. I use this computer for business purposes, they gonna take that too? Sounds like you've got some crazy liberals in your town. Do you have an SBA office or chamber of commerce with some clout to throw around for you?

You know, the nature of this business is such that any homeowner could and probably does have a lot of the same types of tools/equipment. Does everybody complain when a neighbor mows his yard and puts fresh mulch in his beds? If you know any lawyers, maybe even a business law professor at a local college, you may need to talk to them. They may know of legal loopholes or other methods to get you off.

I'm sure glad I live in the country, even though the town is officially chartered.
  3. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

It sounds like you need to decide how important your business is to you. Are you willing to fight for it?

Have you retained a lawyer yet?
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I just don't get it, I run my business from home but I'm not out there mowing state highways either...
    For one that would require types of equipment that would make a great big road show of what I do, but having the equipment is not the real reason it's just I like keeping as low a profile as I possibly can, and I still think it is this profile aspect that is causing the whole ruckus.

But it is also quite possible, concerning the profile thing, that there's not much doing.
    Some folks keep a certain level of a profile and that is how they are and there's nothing doing,
    but if there's a way to turn down the volume to a level of blandness that might come close to
    say a potted plant in the corner, that might help.

Because you're getting nowhere and I could have told you as much, and I think I did or I tried to but then maybe I didn't, but I'm telling you now you're getting nowhere and you will continue getting nowhere with them. Yes it is frustrating and it might not be right, but that's pretty much the way it is, don't ask me why I don't know, right it ain't but what can you do?

Now I've had one or two minor run-ins with the neighbors but overall it is no problem... And maybe I am wrong and I'm not saying there isn't a jerk in every neighborhood and it might just be your luck this guy has it in for you, but I would consider a household move before fighting with these folks.
    Move someplace else, maybe out of the city and towards the country side.

And I might consider the idea of getting a really good attorney but that's going to cost you, too.
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

The fascist are taking over this country. Property rights are all but dead. That little jacka** city employee wields more power than any government entity was intended to. You could try pleading to the press, make the city look like the fascist, Nazi, goose-stepping thugs they are. It may have no effect though. Urbanites in particular have been acclimated to fascism.
  6. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

"you cant run a business out of a residential neighborhood."

Did you tell him that you ARE NOT running a business out of a neighborhood? I don't see why it's any more complicated than that. You run your business out of the front yards of your customers, do you not, and you simply take your work truck home with you at night, right?

What am I missing here?
  7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Running a business out of your house and having a home office are to separate things. You will never be allowed to keep your equipment at your house since you will not have the proper zoning but you will be able to have the home office.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Johnson, ... I recall the previous thread, and I read your initial post in this thread. I didn't recall reading in the other thread, and nothing is stated in this one about citing the ordinance in question. It would be helpful to your cause in explaining the problem if you cited the wording of the ordinance. That would go a long way to answer some of our questions about the definitions of the phrases being used regarding the complaint and the remedy the officials are requesting. A simple "cut and paste" of the ordinance for reference in this thread would be very helpful and valuable.
  9. LeifGreen

LeifGreen LawnSite Member

The police take their cars home at night! isn't that bringing their business into a residential area?
  10. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

Maybe you could find a storage yard or RV parking lot that is gated/locked to park your trailer at night and on the weekends. I keep my 2 trucks and cargo trailers around the corner from my house at an RV storage and it only costs me $40 per space. My trailers are lockable though.