tried doing it legal..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Johnson LCO, May 8, 2008.

1. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Today I got a visit from a city of newark inspector, telling me that I have to move my operation. Apparently one of the neighbors complained that the sight of me loading my truck is unpleasant. I know most of my neighbors very well, help them with their landscaping and give them extra mulch that I have leftover. I am only 20 and cant afford to get a shop just yet and cant find anywhere else to put my stuff. I have very few lawn customers and dont put my mowers on my trailer until at least 10am (i mow only one day). I have been very consoderate of them and this just came out of nowhere. According ot the inspector, I can store my equipment at my house I just cant load my equipment there. I do mostly landscaping and asked him how it was illegal for me to load 2 wheelbarrows and hand tools into my truck? He responded that the city doenst real care what I do, but this person is making a huge issue out of it so it has to be resolved. Apparently, the only way I can keep working is to dissolve my business, drop insurance, and do all my transactions under the table. I dont want to do this because it took me so long to do everything right and I am set up as an LLC and prepaid my general liability for the year. I tried to do everything legal and now I am getting screwed for it. I dont even know how to fight this. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

That sucks. Good luck. Sorry but I don;t know what I would do.. store stuff at a relatives?

3. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

Man that is some bull. Around here, we settle those issues with 12 gauges, no lie. And quite frankly, if you're loading YOUR equipment on YOUR property, who cares what the neighbor thinks. Go the city and tell them that the site of your ugly neighbor walking to the mailbox is unpleasant and you demand an enclosed hallway be built (from the front door to the mailbox) or they pick their mail up the post office.

Man, I'm fired up just reading this thread.

4. Johnson LCO

I am so furious right now I want to go knocking on doors asking who called. I will not however, be stupid enough to announce on a public forum what I am going to do when I found out who called. Just know there will be consequences.

5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

what kind of trailer do you have..can you park it in the garage?

6. jknight8907

jknight8907 LawnSite Member

Could you get a small trailer to keep your stuff on? Then you wouldn't be "loading", you'd just hook up and go.

7. mitw44

mitw44 LawnSite Member

You might rent a storage building to park your trailer in.

8. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Explain to everyone there will be no more freebies or lawn care because your stuff will be elsewhere and it's no longer convenient to help them out. This might flush out the mole. I here roundup does wonders to lawn grass.

9. Johnson LCO

I cant park my trailer in the garage. I am contemplating getting an enclosed and just leaving it loaded but I really dont want the financial burden right now. I might be forced into it though.

10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL :laugh: