1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tried double blades... need to raise rpm?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Picture Perfect Landscape, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

I just put on double blades. I have a lesco 54'' floating deck with a 19HP Kawi motor.

After installing the doubles my max rpm with blades engaged is around 3300. Supposed to be closer to 3600. Whats the easiest way to raising the rpm? I tried messing with the linkages but that didn't seem to do anything..
  2. Picture Perfect Landscape

up to the tizzy
  3. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

With the mower at fast idle it should be 3600, when you start the blades it will go down to 3300 or so. We run doubles on all our Wright Standers and don't have any issues at all. If you try to speed up the mower when the blades are on to 3600 it will overspeed the engine when you shut them off.
  4. Picture Perfect Landscape

Before I put doubles on when I would start the blades it would never drop to 3300. I considered it bogging down if it ever fell that low and if it fell lower I would always slow down to keep it no lower than 3300. I do not remember the exact RPM but I am positive it was above 3400 I am thinking it was closer to 3500.

With the doubles it will only sit at 3300-3350 sitting still. Once you enter grass it drops and I have trouble keeping it above 3200. I can tell its chops up the grass better for dispersal, but the cut left behind is mediocre compared to single blades.

I just feel if I could raise it up a little I would get the cut plus the dispersion I am looking for.

And I don't understand why it would be bad if you start you blades mid rpm like your supposed to and then raise it to max (3600). you can always adjust the throttle to keep the engine for going over 3600-3700 when the blades are not on, even though honestly I don't think a couple of hundred rpms will make that much of a difference. I have run my toro like that for years with no problems. Helps a ton cause the little 12.5 Kawi is way underpowered for that mower.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Raise the rpms to 3600 with the load, thats how I run mine, no problems yet. just idle down a little when there is no load.
  6. Picture Perfect Landscape

that's the problem. I can't get it to gohigher than 3570 with no load. It was easy on my toro but this one just stops. I was assuming there was something you had to do to the governor but I am unsure of this process
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

19 hp is a little low to be pushing double blades to start with. Messing with the R's is just asking for trouble. These smaller motors are not designed for over revving.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

wernt desighned for double blades in the first place either!
  9. Picture Perfect Landscape

Well while yall were posting I had figured out how to raise the RPM's, but it didn't change the result. It still didn't raise the RPM while blades engaged let alone while cutting. I took off the double blades and put my singles on. However its still sitting at 3400 or so with blade engaged.... when I adjust what changes the rpms at no load, it seems to do nothing when I adjust it with the blades engaged? Am I missing something here?

It seems I should atleast be able to get 3500-3600 out of singles engaged???
  10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I'm running double gators on a everride 19 horse kawasaki with a 48" deck. It definetley takes more hp to run doubles and the rpms drop considerably in tall wet stuff. The noise from the doubles -that helicoper or airplane propeller sound- is deafening at 3300 rpms, I'm scared to push the engine higher than that.

I am getting excellent results in dry turf with sharp blades, but tall stuff and we stuff not good. even after 2 passes it is marginal. 3 passes acceptable.