Tried Doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Jul 8, 2001.

1. well I tried 2 blades per a spindle today just messing around

and wow what vacume and lift and dispursment
    but boy was it loud

took it off don't have long enough bolts

used 2 hi lift blades each

lots of stain on enginr to keep on and mowing in tall grass
    Iwill stick with singles

but I went to cut the neighbors tall yard to try in high grass and still had to mow twice

well hear is my 4 cents worth LGF

2. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yeah.....doubles are kind of a "special occasion" set-up for me.

The Laser does a great job with single set of good sharp hi-lifts but if I get a day or two behind the doubles have helped me not to have to cut twice.

I throw a gator top and a med-lift on bottom.

Shreds it up nice and small and throws it about 12 feet.....YEAH!

You are dead-one about the noise....and I also throw up quite a dust storm too. :D

I try not to do doubles too much because I'm running a 23 hp Kawasaki and although it works well and bogs very little if I don't get in too big of a hurry I don't want to "work it" any more than I have too.

Your right about the vacuum...a branch knocked my ball cap off last week and it landed next to the trimming side of the deck (set to cut at 3 inches). I looked down just in time to see it start wiggling and then get sucked up under the deck.....INSTANT CONFETTI!!!!!

Peace! :)

3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Try some other combos, that had to be the roughest combo of them all. The two high lifts is probably way too much drag go with a med to low lift and a gator and see what happens. I just dont want you to miss out on something you may really like if you werent trying the correct combination. GOOD LUCK

4. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

You've got to go to the Gator on top and a med lift on the bottom for the 2 inside blades, and a Gator and a highlift for the discharge blades. I tried doubles for the first time 6 weeks ago and wished that I would have heard about it 8 years sooner. Makes a world of difference on the long thick sod. I'm gonna stick with my doubles for now on. I'm a believer!!!!!

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Quail Creek, if Lawnsite would of been around 12 years ago, I could of told you about this then. :)

If any of you don't understand how doubles are set up, I have a page on my site on double blades. Pictures included. ;)

I takes a lot of power to run double high lifts, it even pulls down my 26 hp diesel. :(

6. deason

deason LawnSite Member

I Love the doubles!!!! not only do they chop up the grass alot better, they will have you doing one pass and one pass only. Not to mention the added 1 to 2" cutting width of your deck. Seems that they suck outside the deck sometimes!

I do agree with everyone, you have to try out different combos to see what will work the best for you. I run standard hi lifts on the bottom and gators on the top.

Yes, They do make a racket dont they? :D

7. I fogot to tell you I put them on a Exmark Turf Tracer 52" w/Kohler 22hp

I started the blades up at low to mid throttle
    there are some things to consider all I had in my garage was high lifts and my RPM's are set at 3700 need to turn that down in order to run them I will have to dig out my Gator blade at the shop haven't used them in years
    then dig out the ear plugs

I might try again tomorrow on my newer 52" it has 3" long blade bolts

as far as putting them on my Lazers not till I can find longer bolts for the blades

see you can alway's change the way you think??????????

LGF:blob3:

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive posted this before but here goes. the only problem i had with doubles was the exstra pull on the clutch during engaging.
    i solved that by going to using lighter blades on top or in light mowing conditions ,both top and bottum.i use a universal high lift
    blade i got at lowes .it really lessened the pull on the equipment
    back to about the same as running singles.later now

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Lawngodfather:

Someone on this board once mentioned that the bolts for the Laser Z spindles were:

1) Short bolt=older type spindle=course threaded

2) Long bolt=newer type spindle=fine threaded

I just bought my Laser (2001) in March and it already had the long/fine bolts (about 2 inches) from the factory.

Just wanted to pass this along to you......please check the threads on your existing bolts just to be sure....I would not have known about this unless someone had not pointed it out. The dealer gave me three spare bolts and washers the day I took delivery and indeed they were the short/course type....I traded them out with hime the next time I went back for new blades.

Have a great day! :)

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

mine is a 96 and the bolts are plenty long for two blades.
    later TM