Tried Flat-Free tires yet ? They're great !!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mdvaden, Sep 16, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Two months ago, I replaced a tube tire that needed air every week, with a flat free tire.

And I really enjoy the other ones - for my handtruck. They don't squash sidesways when moving stones and blocks on a slight slope.

We use heavy equipment too, but the handtruck and wheelbarrow get regular use.

With the handtruck, I just needed to drill the kotter pin hole a speck bigger. The wheel metal was about 1/16" thicker.

handtruck.JPG

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I went looking for them today at northern but did not find any. I woke up this morning and my spreader had a flat. I hate that crap. I got a flat free on my wheel barrow, and look to put them on every thing. i did think about experimenting with an idea. i thought about taking my tire and putting a small hole in the side and spraying expanding foam in the tire to make my own flat free tire. i know it sounds ghetto, but i figured if i was going to replace those tires anyway, it couldn't hurt to try. who knows, i may save my self a hundred or so dollars.

3. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

they got them things for mowers? I've got 2 flats on my WB as we speak.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

One thing to remember though, is that flat free tires will generally mean a rougher ride.

5. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

if ya did you would have to take the weight off the tire and not put too much
    in it so it would'nt be out of round !!! lets us know if it works !!

6. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

has them on my velkies and front casters on my walkbehinds

7. Phoenix

Phoenix LawnSite Member

I have a yard cart, broadcast dry chemical spreader, liquid chemical sprayer and tiller that always needed to have the tires aired up (they are all tubeless).

I cleaned the tires and wheels (do a good job on the bead area), slimed them and painted the tire bead with black paint than aired them back up. After two weeks, they all are still holding air.

I never did it myself, but knew of some one that did. I won’t work! At least not for very long, what happen is after the foam sets up; it gets hard and will then brakes up under use.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

The new, softer generation of foams solved that. I think the ride is smoother than with air.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

see them everywhere and i always say im going to pick a few up but never do i think ill do that this winter for next season

10. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I have flat free tires on the front of both of my machines and they are great! No more flats for me. I tell ya though, get ready to shell out some cash if you consider getting them. My dealer here charged me about $75 for each tire. Plus, since he didn't have the machine to put them on with, it cost another $60 for a tire shop to install them. He told me that he didn't even make anythng off of that and even LOST because it was such a pain in the ass to seat the tires on the rims. You know what though? I don't give a rip about the cost! I have no more flat tires in the mornings!!!

Y'all will be able to find tires at a better rate if you look on a search engine.