tried it like the pros.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by exmark72, Sep 3, 2006.

1. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

on friday i saw one of the pros that mows a house near one of mine mowing kind of fast, he was on a dixie chopper ( hp and deck i dont no) he was going pretty fast and it seemed to cut really well,, he did double cut just as fast the second time. the grass was like 6 to 8 inches high and wet. so i tried it my mower lazerz 20hp 52" deck, went pretty fast then doulbe cut it worked preetty well,, didnt seem to take much longer, also the grasses were about same conditions, mine was thinner though. ne one else try or do this,,, sorry if its confusing

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You're learning.

3. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

bring it to top

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Start high and move down in 1/2" increments (approx.). If you come into a high lawn, and ut at say a setting of 4, then at 3.5, you will have a much finer discharge than if you cut it at 3.5 the first time, then cut it at 3.5 again. This of soures will vary, as different heights are required for different starting heights, but you will find that cutting it down in smaller increments will ALWAYS give you better results. I sometimes go down as much as 3/4" at a time if it is under extreme contions. If you can do 1/4" increment drop at the last lowering, that will help, as well.

5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that raising it 1/4" on the last cut chops up the clipping finer without adding more clipping to it, and thus makes the clipping disappear. This works best if you leave it a little tall.(3+")

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

On my ZD28, this is what I do as well. What really REALLY works nice, is if you're on a larger property, and can let the clippings dry out completely before you go back over it again.

7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Thats very true.