1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tried it your way

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Jul 20, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, so it seems most guys i talk to swear by not using any fabric under mulch, we always did use it. today, i said screw it, ill try without. we put in 9 yards in a mostly shaded area, so i figured weeds wouldnt be that bad a problem anyway. i didnt even try to sell the customer on weed pulling/maint service. i know some weeds will be popping up, what do u use to get rid of them without damaging shrubbery too?

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

Lay down some pre-em on top of the mulch, if you apply in a uniform manner the likelyhood of weeds sprouting is minimal, however at 50.00 a bag you may want to see what happens.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what i dont get about the pre-em these folks are always talking about is this: if u apply it BEFORE there are any weeds, it prevents the seeds from hatching, however, if u just pull the weeds, i know u r leaving some root in the ground, what the heck is the pre gonna do now? i would use preem on new soil, or in early spring BEFORE any weeds appeared. what i need to know at this point is what type of selective herb u guys r using the will kill these weeds that i KNOW will apear, without damaging shrubbery.
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of shrubbery? There are plent of selective post-emergent herbicides on the market. I have used Lontrel with great results over cotoneaster, juniper, azalea and even liriope and pachysandra. It is pricey ($180 a quart), but at the rate of 1/2 oz./gallon of water will go a long way. If the weeds appear between plantings you can get away with round-up if you don't get any on the ornamentals.