1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tried mulching leaves today...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, Nov 16, 2005.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

In my last few posts i've expressed my views on mulching leaves; I didn't think it would work for the volume of leaves I have.

I decided to try it today. I put on my blade blocker and 'round and 'round i went grindin until i was litterally dizzy. The only thing that was helpful about the reduced particle size was the fact that the wind didn't catch them as much as a full leaf. however, that also means its that much harder to move with the blower.

Bottom Line: it took me 2.5 hours to do a job that normally takes me 1.5hrs. I think i'll just keep pushing and blowin' like usual.
  2. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

i try not to mulch leaves. the appearance is just unsightly and adjusts the ph to much si cost the costumer the same in the end after applying lime
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I tried mulching last year. It just didnt look as good especially on fescue yards. I also think it takes longer. It seems like you go over the yard way more times than you would if you were catching them with the mower.
  4. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Like every job, mulching it a job related decision. We cannot offer leaf pickup, but frown upon true leaf mulching and leaving the leaves in the lawn. It’s just plain butt ugly.
    We do use with great success, the process of gathering leaves in an area that debris can be deposited on a customers property, and employ the use of a dedicated mulching mower.
    With duel reverse bent mulching blades, the mower set at 4.5”, and 25hp, we literally power the leaf pile into dust. For efficiency, one worker begins mulching at one end of the pile, while another worker gives the mulching process a head start and then proceeds to blow the minuscule leftover debris in the rear of the property.
    As a point of interest, many of our 10 year customers still have no waste buildup in the waste deposit area.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there is kind of a technique to mulching leaves I feel.
  6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Care to let us in on your technique???
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I've mulched some pretty heavy leaves this year with my mower and it doesn't have a mulch kit, just gator blades.

I mow like normal and then double cut it in a different direction and normally it comes out fine. Darker leaves of course are best, but I've done some bright yellow leaves and you cant see them much either. Double cutting my way cuts the leaves down to about dime size pieces.

I try to blow and vac as much as possible but sometime it was just easier to mulch them so I do it that way.
  8. tiedeman

from earth

with me what I do is I first mow it the "homeowner way", basically going around in a circle shooting everything back towards the center. That helps in breaking it down more and more because you are constantly going over it and it also helps to stop debris from going into beds. After you get that into the center, then just go the opposite direction shooting the debris outward. I have used this technique for years and it works the best.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i mulch all the leaves at my jobs .i do the same way as tiedeman but if the turf is a small area i mulch and then bag the left over maybe 3 bushels. i did a condo i 2 weeks ago and only left with four baggers fulls from a property that is 3 acres total with concrete and everything else. just alittle over acre of turf.
  10. tiedeman

from earth

yup, I did a job on Monday, huge job. I just went over and mulched up everything first, and then threw on the bagger unit and came away with maybe 5 to 6 bags full