tried my best to un sell this lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Mar 21, 2009.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

it all started with a referal. the most solid sale ever but they started out with we don't want big mowers. I told them I'm not your guy and said it was nice to meet you!. I started to walk away and the lady grabbed my arm. " we hear your good!" she said....... I said i just like to use the equipment i invested in to do that job you heard about!.. reverse salesmanship is a forte of mine! they complained about poor cutting and felt only a small mower would do the job. I stated they called the wrong guy and that I used commercial mowers and only used a 21" mower as a last resort for hills and tight areas. Dam if I didn't get that customer to agree to my way! I replied that a big mower with a dull blade is a sign that you shopped price and not quality. I was $10 more thatn their last guy and they said YES! I just said that after 17 years I think I know what your lawn should look like and they agreed! we'll see if that still works in this economy! moral of the story ...stick to your guns! value still sells!

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

well thats a good way to get an account for the price you want
  3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I am just as scared as the rest of the country about the economy but this way has worked for me so far. I tell it like it is and some how it works! their last guy was a college student at 25$ per cut with no knowledge of lawns at all. they even told me they were cheap!.. I said 35$ and they jumped at the chance. they tried to tell me about competition from unemployed people and my reply was good luck! I said I pay taxes and insurance and I can't cut a lawn for $25.... stick to your guns !!!! maybe just lucky!!!!
  4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

You know, it's been said here before and it's worth saying again....."It's not my job to make it affordable. My job is to make your lawn look like a picture postcard. Your job, is to be able to afford it."
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I don't care if someone else will do their yard for 5 or 25 dollars, if I see a 40 dollar yard that is what I will charge. If I have to sit home or go fishing then so be it.
  6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I had an older couple that said the same thing to me about using large mowers, I basically told them the same thing you did and they agreed for awhile, after about 2 months they asked me again to use a 21" and I said dont you think the commercial WBs I use do a good job, they said yes but a 21" does better!!! I then told them I was probably not the right person to be providing them service. I think older people believe since we mow so fast , we cannot be doing a good job and most of them swear by 21" pushers! Its just what they are used to. Plus they asked me why my WBs wouldnt cut the dandoliens and a 21" will, I dont even know the answer to that as I have noticed this before. But the quality of cut in a commercial WB and a craftsman 21" is night and day! Why dont they see this? My grandparents thought craftsman was the absolute BEST you could get(before I explained it to them)!!! They will probably be asking you to use a smaller mower within a month or two.
  7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Old people are great. I love how they think any technology invented after 1950 is simply made for comfort and never for efficiency or quality. My grandpa was an exception. He had an old Montgomery Ward 42" tractor he mowed his 2 acres with and swore nothing cut as well as it did. When I bought my Hustler I took it out to show him and he about crapped a brick when he tried it out and saw how well it cut. I used to bring it out on Sundays and hang out with my grandma inside while he had fun mowing his lawn in less than half the time he used to. When will most older people realize that the devil is not behind all new things? haha
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Congratulations ... good story !!
  9. lifetree

lmao ...... !!!
  10. lifetree

Good for you !!

Maybe you can get him to work for you out on your route ... maybe pay him $ 5.00 an hour !! :laugh: :laugh: