Tried my Meg-Mo blades today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasswhacker, Jun 2, 2004.

1. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I've had these blades for 2 months, but my machine was in the shop from 4/17 to 5/11 so they just sat in the box. Did not put them on right away as I wanted to see if the mower was performing up to par. Well I put them on yesterday and used them today. They did a good job when set at a cutting height of 3.5" or less; at 4" they left some grass uncut. The grass was dry, but all the rain we have had made it juicey and fairly tall. I only had to go over a few spots where the clipping did not disappear well enough for me. The deck was very clean and only dropped turf turds after blade disengagement from collecting it in the disc holes. well I'm pleased and will continue using them.
    One other note, it seems that the blade take alot more torque to get started, but after they get going the centrifical force allows the engine not to work as hard. Could be wrong, but just seemed like it.
    Mower is a Bobcat 61" 25hp Kohler :jester:

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Okay, question. How do you balance the blades when you sharpen them?

3. grasswhacker

Haven't sharped them yet, still sharp, but when I do I'll use the same thing I do when I sharpen my other blades. We'll see.

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Meg Mo's are self balancing...........OK Doc Pete where are you ?

5. grasswhacker

That's kind of what I thought dishboy. Maybe I read it somewhere in Roys post. Can't remember though.

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Hey grasswacker,I have a 61'' 26hp bunton(same as a bobcat) . I have considered trying these blades, do you see a big enough differance from the stock set-up to justify?