Tried "real" gasoline today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grandview (2006), Mar 21, 2013.

1. norsky

norsky LawnSite Member
    from MN

i total agree with you. we have had no problems. just something for people that don't have enough to do to complain about.

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

FWIW, and for 2-stroke/mixed gas...it may very well be more important to use the recommended 89 or higher octane gasoline than 87 octane. Though, I'm QUITE sure someone will disagree.
    Thankfully I have and exercise the option to use ethanol-free premium (91 octane) and can say I've not had any issues. To me, it's money well spent. Repairs are one thing, but being w/o a tool when you NEED it is another animal altogether.

Just knocked on wood here. :laugh:

3. pressley10r

pressley10r LawnSite Member
    from NC

You must be getting a different kind of e10 blend than we get here in the south. If you put a lot of hours/year on a handheld, running e10, a carb will not last 1 season. I bought 6 carbs one year for various trimmers and blowers before I figured out you had to use ethanol free. Now I havent bought or cleaned a carb in 2 years, coincidentally when I went exclusively ethanol free.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have used the same trimmer for 3 years now with literally nothing done to it, and running e10 blend. Someone putting water in your gas down there? Do you use cheap walmart oil mix? I am glad I do biz in the Heartland.

5. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Ethanol does ruin carbs, primer bulbs and fuel lines. That's a fact. Running 93 octane does help.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Here's a question. Are we better off running 93 octane, or pure gasoline at a lower octane

7. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say regular octane, pure gas. There is no facts to back up my opinion, but ethanol affects small motors way more than big motors like cars etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Ethanol is extremely hygroscopic. The south is extremely humid for most of the mowing season. But there is something else going on down here with it.

I run non-ethanol but had to break down and buy a gallon of e10 on the 4th of July. Had starting problems within 20 minutes on the trimmer and edger. Blower had problems by the next morning. Bought a new trimmer a week later because it was nearly impossible to crank. The edger within a month. Primer bulbs on both of those split within days. Granted, none of them were brand new. But they all ran just fine up until that point. This wasn't the first incident. I had similar problems several years before when e10 became mandatory. Trust me. I don't enjoy paying $4.50 a gallon for e-zero, but it beats the alternative.

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

It costs a whole lot more than 30 cents a gallon when I have to route myself out of my way to find that special station.

But do tell...
    One day, when they go back to regular fuel...

Will you guys complain that all the equipment that has been re-manufactured to deal with the ethanol is now crapping out on the real gasoline because the parts weren't made to run without ethanol?

Especially those of you who went out of your way to run straight fuel during the ethanol days.
    Will you?

Please?

10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Update. Filled up yesterday,based on my driving(using personal) I'm on my 3rd fill up at the same amount of time and miles with the other gas I would be filling up for a 5th time,so far so good.