Tried Something Different Today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodfather, Jul 26, 2005.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

In preparation of what they said would be a 105+ degree heat index today, my 3-man mowing crews (2) became 4. I added a 4th person (part time guys I have) to each crew to do just trimming and blowing. Also, we started at 6:30 this am instead of the normal 7:30.

Both crews were completely finished and back at the shop by 1:00...and grateful too btw. Labor man hours came out exactly as a normal day with a 3-man crew.

It's nice to have the help when ya need it...

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i worked for a couple of hours and then called it quits... its 99 degrees 110 heat index here... tomorrow 84 degrees. i'll pick up tomorrow when its not so hot.. :waving:

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Were you out doing resi properties that early? I can't even imagine the grief I would get.

We just soldier on thru it. Today was relatively chilly here. 92 with a heat index of 98-100. That is the lowest we have had in at least a month.

My part time guy couldn't take it so I got a new one. He is doing much better after 2 days then the other guy after 3 weeks.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

All residentials. One customer ever came up to me when I stopped to talk with one of my foreman and said, "beatin' the heat today, huh Rod." he understood plain and clear.

And if I would have gotten any complaints, screw em is my take on it. It was only one day of the summer so far...

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Hey if you can get away with it. More power to you. Maybe you can cause the geezers from NJ move here to complain when they get really crotchety.

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is very important to help keep up employee moral...especially on these hot days. Good call, Rod.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I called it a day at noon, wished i had went on and got the last yard for tuesday. Oh well with this heat everything is wilted this eve, so it may be a short week for me. And if I have to work sat to finish I will still be in good shape for a 1 man crew

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Did my route as usual today billed $1800 (fert/insect control), started at 9:00 and was done by 2:30. Then took my daughters for a picnic dinner on the beach...:)

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I did something different today too.
    I worked from 6 till 2 pm, went home and took my shoes and socks off. I neglected to change my "other" clothes that had gotten sweat saturated.
    I went back out about 4:30 and worked until 9pm.
    I got the monkey butt now.

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Along with age comes wisdom :) .

Great idea Rod...A friend of mines employee had heat stroke last week.