1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tried the T, Z, and GL out at the GIE...my take

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Nov 2, 2013.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Larry go Hawks! Can finish a nice season by beating Nebbie.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Thanks DA. If the HAWKS have a good day and the cornholers have a bad day, we have a chance, but I ain't bettin' on this game.

Nuther thing regarding zero turn stand-on machines >>> wet grass, soggy soils, slopes = not a good mix.

3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Only if the operator doesn't know what they are doing. The front wheel lock solves any hillside issues that ztr's have.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. djagusch

from MN

Don't know where your going on the calibration as its pretty simple and both machines are done pretty comparably.

I drove a truck with a steering wheel today also. Works pretty well on roadways designed and sized properly for such vehicles. When doing snowplowing in tight areas skidsteers out perform trucks every time do to how it has the ability to zero turn. Lawns are not roads or highways, they have tight areas. This is where a zero turn out performs a steering wheel everytime.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Can put my zero turn on wet grass,soggy soils,slopes = not a problem it's all in the operator:rolleyes:

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Touche'

:cool2:

:laugh:

7. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

We bolted the speed adjustment bar in place so at full throttle the guys maxed at 5. We couldn't keep our gps units running so that was the simplest fix I could think of. If they were adjusted, welding the bar in place would have been step 2. Lol
    Simplifies calibration I'd say.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Ya I wouldn't want slop in speed setting that is for sure.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I understand where you're coming from, and what you say makes sense to me most of the time. But I have questions >>>>

Let me get this correct....front wheel locks on ZTR's solve any hillside issues?

Then why don't all ZTR manufacturers offer front wheel locks? (I gotta call bs on this) because there are times when ZTR units have their limits compared to non-ZTR units.

I admit I am not the "sharpest knife in the drawer", but I've been in the business for over 35 years. Been running stand-on's/ride-on's since the mid 90's including hundreds of hours on ZTR's.

I am also one of those guys who never gives up until I have exhausted all options. I also prefer ZTR units in many instances, but not regarding operating a "spreader/sprayer" machine on a daily basis. Others agree too, cuz there are over 30 T3000's in my town (that I know of). I recently noticed our Scotts Lawn Care swapping out their Ground Solutions to T3000's.

I don't mean to bash Z's cuz several good friends use them...odd thing is...they are all "out of state".

Okay -- time to beat me up now :laugh:

10. djagusch

from MN

Pretty sure lt rich has a patent on the castor lock.

The best way to explain how this, it makes the ztr hold a hill great is the front wheels don't start going downhill while the rear tires are trying to steer it straight.

Regular ztr front wheels start going downhill any swings the front down. The rear tires can't keep it straight. The castor lock doesn't let it head down hill.

It takes time to trust/use the castor lock but after your comfortable using it. It holds hills great. In a demo you wouldn't have the trust in it. After 20hrs its easy.
    Posted via Mobile Device