Trim 40 shrubs for 35 bucks?? 20 minute drive, How funny

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4.3mudder, Apr 22, 2009.

1. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

So, I had this funny one today. Lady from a friend from a friend deal I gave a call to wanted to know how much to do her hedges for. So, I get there, now this is 20 minutes from where I was at. This is in a nice neighborhood, Ashburn Glen in Ovilla. This is kind of like Highland Park nice. So, I get there, husband and wife come out, older couple tell me that they had someone doing it then they were doing it themselves. Now, I counted all the schrubs. There were 34 small ones, between yaupon hollys and nandinas, and then 6 of the big round tree shrubs, that have the red berries. Well, while I was looking at them she told me. "ya, the guys that we had were really only doing the small shrubs and not the bigger ones", funny I wonder why? She told me that she was giving them 35 bucks :hammerhead:!!! I wondered why they were doing half azz work. They went up on her 5 dollars so she cut them off and did it themselves. It would take me maybe and hour and half to 2 hours tops. They were in nice flower beds with red mulch. So, I knew it would be time consuming getting everything out. So she asked me the price, well mame, it is going to be double. "oh, we can't do that" Well, thanks for you time then. Jee whiz, I mean, people must be tighter than a ticks asss on money or something. I mean, nice house, yard, landscaping, and they live in a frigin nice neighborhood. Cheap scates. I just thought it was so funny. :laugh:

2. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Tell me about it, Don't you know, you're not supposed to make money, what did you think this is a business, we are only the outside janitor,lol....I cant believe people sometimes, you live and learn, the worst part is it cost you $$ in fuel and time you wasted that you will never get back in your life,lol...they should know that their clock is ticking faster than yours.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

35 apiece mam....................

4. 4.3mudder

Ya, she just had back surgury too, that was where the money went. :hammerhead:

5. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

It's time consuming and a pain to get the little clippings out of the beds. I have one house where I have to put tarps around the shrubs to keep clippings out of the pine straw mulch.

Sometimes I feel like telling people that want work done next to nothing to hire one of those people that "work for food".

6. 4.3mudder

That's exactly what she told me to do. Pugh, I don't think so, never did it that way and never plan to. Show me the dough and we will see. :laugh:

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

This is the reason I know longer advertise nor solice any shrubbery work. The same people who don't mind paying 50 bucks for a one hour yard mow will not want to pay 50 for 10 hours of shrub work. Or thats the way it is in my neck or the woods. When I get a call and they start telling me what they have I tell them its going to be x amount from what you are telling me and when I go to look at it could be higher. This eliminates a lot of wasted drive time and gas. If they take the first price I give then I don't mind going to see what they have.

8. 4.3mudder

I'm going to have to do that from now on. Or, even give a guy a quote and never hear back. I no longer hold my breath for anyone.

9. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I tell them 5 dollars for a small one,8 for a medium and 10 dollars for a large one with a 150.00 min charge. 2 guys we knock them out pretty quick. We do alot of trimming shrubs. Alot of yews and junipers.

Brad

10. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

They would need to add a 0 to the end of that $35 for me $350:) I hate doing shrubs anyway so I would price extremely high so they would get someone else.