trim first/mow first?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, May 3, 2001.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering who trims first or who mows first.

I trimed first all of the time then the other day I was out of string and decided to be lazy and mow first then fill my spool. It cut my trimming time down to nothing. The only thing I noticed was there were some places of leaves and stuff the trimmer had kicked out. It only took a second to clean up.

any thoughts?

2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow first that way you know exactly what your mower will get and what it will miss.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

after cutting a yard once i know what i won't be able to get and what i can, i would say it better to trim 1st then mow so that you don't have long grass blades laying on the yard if its high. i usually mow 1st though because i have all my yards on a 5 or 6 day cutting scheudule

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried it both ways. I'm with Joshua, if the trimming is going to leave long grass or debris on the yard, I would rather trim first.
    But I think it is quicker to mow first most of the time.

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Mow first, so you definitely know what to trim. If you trim more than you have to mow then then the grass is lower, cause no one is perfect when trimming.

6. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Most grass that is left after trimming doesn't look near as bad once it's dried.

7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Mow first then trim. It just seems logical to me. Never done it anyother way I guess.

8. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I have always mowed first. I find that there is much less trimming, and any taller grass on the turf can easily be dispersed into the lawn while blowing.
    Bill Craig

9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta go with Mr Craig on this one.

10. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

mow,trim,blow