Trim First?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevhov, Nov 2, 2007.

1. kevhov

kevhov LawnSite Member

Do you guys prefer to trim first or vice versa? Or does it not really matter?
  2. task125

task125 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I cut ,edge, trim,blow
  3. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow first, then trim.

But, it may not really matter.
  4. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i have had some i had to trim first due to it being high.that way when i do cut it will be cut up.most of the time its cut ,edge, trim,blow for me.
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i pretty well always trim first. for 2 and a half years i always mowed first, it makes it seem like it goes faster now. i actually edge first...
  6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

edge, trim, mow, blow, then leave.
  7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you still cutting grass where you are? The reason I ask is the grass here is nearly brown, and has stopped growing. Some places are a real light color green, but its decreasing day by day. Im just wondering. Fall cleanups will start soon here.
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I edge first so the mower can do most of the clean up. Then I mow. Then I trim. I used to trim first, but I found that I was trimming unnecessarily trying to "help myself out" with the mowing (you know, trimming out corners twice as far as I needed to, etc.) - and therefore wasting time...

Also, on thick lawns I'd much rather the mower do as much of the work as possible so I can still move at full speed with the trimmer.
  9. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

I'm with whoopass!! Trimming first usually means I over-trim, so I avoid doing it. Although I do do the trimming first when the grass is really tall (like robbo521).

The normal routine is mow, edge, trim, blow. Most of the time, if you're just maintaining the edge, there's not much debris/residue and you can just blow what little there is back into the yard...can't tell the difference!!
  10. kevhov

kevhov LawnSite Member

I can see that if it is long how trimming first could let the mower pick up those long blades of grass left over. But if I am maintaing once a week, mow first. That's what I'll do. Thanx guys.