Trim first?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1grnlwn, Jan 17, 2003.

?

Do you trim first?

1. Yes, I trim first.

30 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. No, I trim second.

102 vote(s)
    77.3%
  1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Have seen some people post that the first thing they do is trim. This seams quite inefficient to me. Yes, I could probably trim all my old jobs blindfolded first, but why take the chance of having to get the trimmer out again or jockying the mower around to get that little bit in the corner. Or the issues training a new guy to do the same way.

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

solo, cut first. for the reasons you listed. heck, in the summer you may find after cutting no trimming needed.

2 man, have one trim first. although he may miss spots, i find employees have a tendency when they both start cutting to almost finish. then one guy trims, and the other stands there watching. if one trims first, then they can both cut until done. no standing.

its probably splitting hairs, but when time is key...

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think if you trim first, you might wind up doing more than you really need to. If you have mowed a lawn enough times, you know how close you can get with a mower and where you can't.

just my 2 cents.

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

BB that is an interesting reason. I do not have crews where I am not there , yet.

Mark

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get a second trimmer and tell them each to trim where they mowed. THat way, each of them will know where they werent able to get and will eliminate missed trimming. By doing this, you are able to trim after, which IMO is better.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm dealing with fast growing and fast moving bermuda. So we cut 1st then trim.

In thick turf I see another reason to trim 2nd. If your trimming level with cutting height then to do that the trimmer its much quicker and effecient when trimming off 2" than having all the grass still high and cutting into the full area. Make sense? Its hard to explain.

7. bubble boy

i've considered that. any time i've tried it they either trim the same area twice, or miss spots. with smaller props it can be confusing to lay out "your area and my area"

face it, we have all seen employees do things with a trimmer that make no sense. so i figure why double that potential?

usually i match guys who hate to trim with ones that don't mind it (or can do it reasonably well).

but on big props i could see a second trimmer being a good sol'n...

8. bubble boy

just saw this post. makes total sense, its a matter of footspeed. trimming a 4" swath will be faster than an 16" swath.

9. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

In my crews, we all get out the mowers, mow it all FAST, then two guys go grab trimmers, one guy grabs a edger, and the other guy grabs a blower, and we blast over the whole thing real fast. Takes about 5-10 minutes for the average sized yard. Very effecient, very FAST.

:cool:

10. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

depends how fast the grass is growing. I usually mow first and then trim but on occasion, there is so much to trim that I had to clean up the clippings before I left. When the lawn needs to be bagged I trim first and then pick up the clippings in the bagger mower.