trim mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buster, Sep 9, 2002.

1. buster

buster LawnSite Member

I need suggestions on the purchase of a quality 21' to 26' mower. I would prefer a large rear wheel, as they appear to be heavy and better built. I am prepared to spend $500 any advise would be appreciated.

2. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 21" self propeled commercial grade Lawnboy two cycle with 6.5 horse engine and 5 speeds. It doesn't have those big wheels but these things are indestructable. I can mow upside down(if I could get 8 dollar an hour flunky to do it) with this thing and not blow this engine. Cost is under 600 bucks. We like it also for it's weight. Weighs only 79 pounds which allows us to jerk this thing around easily. I've tried, and wrecked quite a few mowers before landing on this one. It's all a matter of prefrance.

3. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

if your going to be using a 21" mower quite a bit, i'd get a honda hrc216khxa ... they cost about twice as much as you want to spend, but they are very much worth it.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

A what...?

5. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

I use a Toro Self Pace 21" with a 6hp. Have had it 4 years and will put it in a ditch in a minute! Paid around $450.00 for it then. It is a mulcher also.:D

6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 trim mowers a Toro recycler w suzuki and a 20" MTD w

5hp Kawi. paid $379 for Toro, built the mtd from parts. Ed

7. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a Troy Bilt 21" returned to lowe's for 1/2 price. I thought that I would get a year out of it anyway. I only have 2 lawns that I use a 21" at and they are very small. I thought it would be a light duty mower but this thing will hammer out a lawn. It has that speed control that goes faster if you do....It dont work right...one speed, Medium but the engine is 6.5 HP and wont bog down. It will mulch bag or side discharge. Not as tuff as a commercial mower but no problems yet. $225.00

By the way, it was returned because the guy said it was too hard to learn how to use! :confused: :confused: Push It!

8. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

I purchased a Honda earlier this year (HRR216) - great for bagging but could not mulch well. It left trails of grass, too low on the highest setting and underpowered. I returned it and bought a Toro Super Recycler with the Personal Pace system. So far it has been an excellent mower. No trace of clippings and the Personal Pace is easy to use. I have not tried the bag yet as there has not been a need. I hope to try a Gator or Atomic blade on it soon.