trim mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spobubba, May 24, 2003.

1. spobubba

spobubba LawnSite Member

Looking at purchasing an Ariens 21". Haven't heard a lot about this manufacturer. I've always thought they were quality mowers. Mower I'm looking into is the LM21SB (6.75 Briggs Intek, w/ BBC) The commercial mower doen't have the BBC, which has grown on me. Only used for 1-2 lawns a week, so commercial mower not really necessary.

Anyone have any comments on the ariens line of mowers?

2. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

I used a commercial model when I worked for a lco I found it to be a bit on the heavy side and getting the gass catcher on or off quick wasn't happening. I'd look at a few other brands first.

-Dave

3. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Dave the Ariens is a Great Mower except 1 thing I don't like ! The thing has no separate blade engagement ! Let go of handle and the blade quits moving and the engine dies ! That is the only reason I don't like them ! I would probably use one if it weren't for the 1 issue I have described

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought a wizzard

6.5 hp B&S
    26" Cut
    Self Propelled
    Swivel Casters

Out the door for 435.00

It should be here by Friday, Ill let you know how it does :cool:

:blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 22" Toro Flymo Hover Mower. For those who dont know, Its a mower with no wheels whatsoever-It has a fan blade that creates a downforce of air against the ground to literally hover on grass!!! Easy to get in spots that are big yet not big enough for the ZTR, good for really bumpy places, also great on steep inclines and EXCELLENT for ditches!!!!!! Husquavarna has two different models out there.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Airens Pro 21" wiht the robin engine and the three speed. Ilike the mower. It can mulch or bag and do both pretty well. I love the robine engine. I don't mind the engine stoping when I let go because it starts again with one easy pull every time. The hight adjustments are sturdy but evern the pro models don't come with steal wheels. I hate the transmision. It is suposed to have three speeds. 1st= v e r y s l o w, 2nd = very fast walk, 3rd = run like he** and it gets stuck betweeen gears easily . the final drives in the wheels hubs aren't very sturdy either. They did stop using this trans and went to a variable speed type.

What I would really like is the Robin engine on a toro pro line deck.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

How do you set the height of cut on a hover mower?

8. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive never seen one work, but, how does it keep the grass from laying down, and therefor, not being cut? Seems like the same downburst of air lifting the mower would flatten the grass. I seem to remember one of the laws of physics...for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction....

9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, I know the laws of Physics. But Nonetheless, It DOESN'T flatten grass! How/Why doesn't it? I dont know-It jst doesn't. Its like the air justgoes through the grass blades and out the sides! The way to adjust height is automatic. Whatever the height of the grass is, the mower floats on it to cut the grass to about 2 1/2-3" High.