Trim mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Spanky, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Spanky

Spanky LawnSite Member

Here is a question for all of the pro's.

I have several yards that are just too small for a 36" walk behind. I am going to purchase a new trim mower this year but looking for advice. I will be using it approximately 8 hours a week, on relatively flat areas. Mulching is my preference, and my customers also.

Which small mowers do you use ?, and why did you pick that mower?

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Murray 20" which is a mulcher or bagger. It is pretty poor on mulching but leaves a perfect look when bagging. I used a $400 LawnBoy for a couple of years but I definetly prefer the Murray. I use it for about 2 hours a week so I just can't justify paying $800 for a Honda or Toro.

3. lawn boy because of the engine and lightweight

4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Snapper in the past, still have a 21". It's about 10-12 yrs. old. Hardly ever use it as not needed, but it there waiting. It cuts nice and bags great, A little on the heavy side.

:cool: Lou

5. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Commercial Lawn Boy, all the way, It light and cut the best,

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Toro proline 21 inch with the Suzuki 2 cycle. Probably the best mulcher out there.

7. TedsLawnScaping

TedsLawnScaping LawnSite Member

Yeah commercial Lawnboy is a great choice. If you can't justify or afford the few hundred dollar difference to get a commercial Lawnboy look into the Silverseries with the 6.5 hp duraforce engine. I've had good luck with them.

8. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Toro Proline - Suzuki - BBC -- (my opinion) Best Mower, bag , mulch or side discharge it does em all very well. Yes it is expensive but it is not a throw away item (on my third set of tires).
    BobR

9. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

21" snapper 2 cycle. The problem that I have found with Toro's is that the deck and dies around the motor. I have had few problems with the snapper 21 and mine have a pretty hard life. Plus here in town they are about $250.00 less than the toro.

10. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

I used to use a Lawnboy commercial 21 inch, great mower.
    Toro commercial mowers are great as well, 21 inch for that too.
    Those are my trim mowers. Though we do have one crew that uses John Deere commercial mowers, the customers really seem to like JohnDeere for some reason.

:cool: