Trim on 44" and 48" HP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by smlavin, Dec 24, 2004.

1. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Terry,

Hope you had a merry Christmas! I know you won't get this for a few days.

Can you tell me the trim measurments on the 44" Lazer HP and the 48" Lazer HP? If there isn't much difference then I think I'll go with the 44" and fit through a few more gates.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Steve,

On paper the 44" has approximately 1.75" of trim capacity on each side of the deck. The 48" has 2.2" on each side.

Thanks

Terry

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

GET THE 48". The trim side on the 44" is really non-existent. A friend of mine got a 44" this year and I've used it many times. While it does cut really nice, it has a lot lacking in the trim side department.

4. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Thanks, a lot 65hoss!

You know your stuff and I appreciate your advice. Two more questions if you don't mind? From your experience 52" or 48" and Kawasaki or Kohler. The dealer is quoting me 2000 less for the 2004 Lazer HP 48 Kohler. And that's no small change!

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

$2000 is definatly not small change. I can put a 52" anywhere the 48" will go. But you will not necessarily put a 52" anywhere a 44" will go.

Things you need to consider...
    Do you mow larger properties or smaller ones?
    52" has 9.5 mph and 48" has 8.1 mph. Doesn't seem like a lot until you get on large open areas. The 52" will smoke a 44" or 48" in open areas.
    If you have medium or very small properties do you want to save the $2000? I probably would.
    Kawi verse Kohler?? Your dealer probably deals in Kohler more since he has this one in his shop. The Kohler motors are proven and usually with good maintenance will last for a very long time. I like the Kawi because they seem to have more torque, but based on saving $2k I would not worry about that issue. Either motor will serve you well and give you good service. The idea is to make money, so either will give you that ability.

For me, I don't think I would ever go below a 52" again, but that is me for my needs. A 48" saving that much will produce good results for you and make you money. If at a later date you need a bigger deck you can get a 60". Then you have the best of both worlds.

6. Bushwhacked

Bushwhacked LawnSite Member

Excuse me, Im very new so you'll know why Im asking.
    But What is meant by trim? The only thing I know about trim is 1. It's what you do to hedges, the other I can't mention.

7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bushwacked,

The "trim capacity" is the amount of mower deck that sticks out past the drive tires.

Thanks

Terry