Trim or mow elavated base of trees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shearbolt, Aug 1, 2002.

1. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

I string trim. I see some LCO's push mow them. I couldn't stand getting the mower of the trailer for every job.

2. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with you, i trim. i use the 21" as little as possible

3. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

yup, i hardly ever use my 21 inch, i can do just as good of a job with the trimmer faster

4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Myself, I use the trimmer. I cut it level and don't leave clumps of grass all over the trunk.

But when the help does the trimming arround elevated trees or even small hills, I have him use the old MTD. I had too many complaints about him scalping those areas.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Trim mower??? What's that?:rolleyes:

6. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

Hey Hoss, don't you have any islands to mow?

7. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

I do not know about Hoss but we have not had a trim mower on the truck in 9 years. The wife feels it is just faster and more straight forward with the line trimmer.

Al B

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Anything small we use the 36" metro or really small areas we use trimmers.

I retired the 21" Honda 2 yrs ago. I will not put it back on the trailer. Too many good jobs I can get using the big mowers. Anytime I would take a 21" off I was losing money. If people are using and basing prices on small mowers then they are fine. The production of the bigger mowers and the types of properties I go after make to much more revenue than the smaller mowers can ever do.

21" market niche for some can be very profitable. But here in the south most lawns just are not small enough. Also, smaller lawns are usually more labor intensive. People try to put tons of landscaping in to make them feel like they are back in the country. This usually means lots more trimming involved.

I ran 21" mowers years ago. I know that market in my area well. It is impossible for me to make the revenue per hour with the 21" mowers that the bigger mowers can produce. Yes my expenses are higher, but my production and hourly revenue is so much more now. After expenses, the profitability is considerably higher also.