1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trim or ride first?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timmac, Jul 19, 2006.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

What do you do first, ride or trim? and why?
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I always mow first. I figure if you can't get it with the mower, you can get it with the trimmer. Can't always get what you miss with the trimmer using the mower.
  3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. But I do run the stick edger first, then mow, then trim what ever is still sticking up.
  4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Normally I mow first, but once in a while I'll run the trimmer first to change things up...then I remember why I run the mower first, so I don't have to go back with the trimmer again to touch up areas I can't get with the mower.:hammerhead:

I do have one very large property with a lot of trimming so I always start out trimming there. Usually trim about a third of the property then hop on the Z and trim the rest after mowing. Kind of breaks up the trimming.

5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends if were bagging the property or not. I like to trim and edge first that way every thing is vacumed up.
  6. stevens lawn

stevens lawn LawnSite Member

i trim and edge first and then mow
  7. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I mow and then trim.
  8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

On the really hot days when I'm doing a large condo complex I trim first so I can be sitting down on my mower during the peak heating hours of the day. Otherwise I mow first.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhhh no, not the 'egg or the chicken' threads again :laugh:
  10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on the property -
    If it's an older account that I already know exactly where I can and cannot get with the mower, I will trim first... it looks cleaner that way.

I always edge and blow last... it leaves a nice crisp edge.