Trim Star GearDrive Vs Hydro

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Inman's lawn care, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

I am really looking hard at adding a walk behind mower to my arsinal of machines.

What are the benifits I would get from the Trim star Grear drive?
    What are the benifits I would get from the Trim star Hydro drive?

Can I use a sulky behind a Gear drive?
    Can I use a sulky behind a Hydro drive?

How do they handle on hills?

I would love to hear any other advice also.
    Please feel free to just lay it on the line.

Thanks,
    Joe Inman
    Inman's Lawn Care

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The gear drive will get you a economical walk behind mower.
    Both will handle sulkies, you would have to adjust the drive belt on the gear drive after a short break in period with a sulky on it, and also it will not work as well on hills as the hydro.
    The hydro is going to get you a H-Bar, best steering system on the market for a hydro mower in my opinion.
    It will also get you a better hill handling mower and more efficient in regards to ground covered and a true reverse.
    The hydro is going to have a easily adjusted floating deck also.
    You really need to demo one and see for yourself what a difference the TrimStar Hydro is compared to a belt drive and others hydro models.

Pj

3. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Which one of our dealers are you working with?

Not all dealers stock walk behinds.

4. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

For the price and ease of use, you can't beat the Trimstar Hydro. I have a couple of 36" Trimstar Hydros. I use sulkies on both of them. I have to run them on very steep hills because that's the nature of my area. They perform a world better going up and down hills that my old gear-drive: so much better control and drive-traction. I'd highly recommend the Trimstar Hydro to anyone.

5. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

I am working with Wilhem's in Lovington Ill

He said he could get a demo for the hydro but he would have to call around and see if he could barrow a gear drive for demo.

This sound like it s truthful.