Trim the curbline or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by big acres, Feb 11, 2008.

?

To trim the curb, or not to trim the curb?

1. I trim curbs weekly, as policy.

62 vote(s)
    63.9%
  2. I trim bi-weekly or skip 'em occasionally to cut time.

28 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. I let curbs go until the get noticeably shaggy.

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. I rarely trim my curbs unless asked to.

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

For you commercial guys... The mower deck hangs over the curb, so line trimming isn't always necessary... or is it? Answer the poll so we can all see what the average approach to managing the long walk is.

2. advantage landscapes

advantage landscapes LawnSite Member

I would trim it quickly if it was in a spot that was seen a lot... probably just with the line trimmer turned upside-down to use it an edger.... but if it was a really lengthy space or somewhere that was not seen very much I would just forget it.....

3. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

We trim along the curb everytime, otherwise the grass starts to hang down the side of the curb and it looks like crap. I think it just looks much cleaner and neat when you trim the curb.

4. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

We trim curb line everytime. Mower deck also overhangs sidewalks and driveways and we do them everytime also jmo

5. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

The lawn should look the same every week when you drive off. Clean, Sharp edges, well groomed....... It is what they pay for, IMO

6. Trimming every week tends to keep the grass to short, leaving it suspectible to weed infringement.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I dont "trim" the edges, instead, I edge everything, every week.

8. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Great post dude!! Whipping/Trimming every week is essencially sp? killing the grass so to speak..... One of my main $$ accts. actually thought it looked nicer/healthier (not so dead/yellow) when I started doing the curbs/sidewalks about every third or fourth mowing or so (I am there every 4-5 days depending on weather / they have irrigation and fert. is dumped on the place) Just something to consider, you honestly don't even notice it from the road when driving by..... cut your time down in certain areas to increase your profit, pretty simple!! :rolleyes:
    :cool2:

9. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Depends what type of grass your mowing. Bermuda MUST be trimmed every week. Fescue types probably can go every other week, but might depend on the slope of the lawn where it touches the curb..........

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto that. I will skip the edging if I can... I can usually go EOW on some properties consistantly, and then there's others I have to edge weekly. Some others I can skip randomally if the weather has been hot and dry and the turf hasn't grown much.

Bermuda is just a b$^%@. Even with a good edger it's really hard to get all of it.