Trim these trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brentsawyer, Dec 27, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I don't get into this much but a customer of mine owns this building and asked last week for me to go and check it out and give him a price on trimming the trees. Here are two bradfords that were topped about 3 years ago and I'm guessing hes wrongfully thinking that I will go in there and do the same thing again. However, there is no way that I will top any tree especially downtown for anyone. However, they need a little work and I was thinking selectively pruning some of the branches and adding a growth regulator to them.

Agree??

cormanpear.jpg

2. brentsawyer

Here is one of the four maples that were topped at the same time. There is also a power wire going through the middle of it.

maple.jpg

3. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

Hire a tree company to prune these trees since there is a electrical wire going thru them which makes it very very dangerous and illegal if you prune them. Wait until spring the add the growth regulator and why do you want to add the regulator ??

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

The maple doesnt seem to be in too bad of shape, they can tolerate topping, which i would never do to a tree if i can help it. As far as the bradford pears, i think its best to totally remove them and put a tree thats suppose to be near a foundation. Bradford pear will do nothing but break in the future due to the severe crotch angles on the branches and the diseases that go along wiht them to weaken the crotches even more. As far as the maple i would do nothing more than thin out some of the interior branches so that all can recieve adequate sunlight. Growth regulators are mainly used for nursery stock to keep the crop the same size and not usually for large trees. Maybe its laws in certain areas but here you can prune around power lines. If the power lines are insulated then there is nothin to worry about but if they are not then dont get near them, call th epower company to prune it back. That just shows you how some people dont know what to plant where. Never would i plant trees under power lines.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said, NCSU. Right tree, right spot, but do not top. Of course this is after the fact in this case. Geeze, that bradford looks like a lopsided mess and will probably continue to grow that way. It appears as if it is to the side of the building and maybe less of a visual concern. Perhaps they wouldn't mind it being gone, or replaced, eh? Pic of the maple is looking directly on so we can't tell how close is it to the building. I'd open it up some with selective pruning and remove any crossed or rubbing branches. I believe that on each major limb where the tree was topped I'd keep one main leader and remove the others. Try to do all this without removing more than a third.

6. brentsawyer

I was thinking Cambistat (growth regulator) to keep these trees from growing out of there spaces. They are planted in real small beds (pears) and the maples are planted on the sidewalk with concrete starting 3' past the trunk line. Also, it would eliminate the need to do alot of trimming in the future from the branches getting tangled in the wires.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Actually with corrective pruning you can train the tree to grow any direction you want. Its all about training certain limbs to go where you want. Thinning out branches and cutting at the right spots will do wonders for that maple atleast. There is nothing much you can do for that Bradford. Just a simpler solution that applying growth regulators IMO.

8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe my eyes are getting old...

But I don't see the "wires."

I see fine lines on the building. And I see a utility pole behind the building.

Which picture are the wires in?

9. brentsawyer

Yeah the wires are really hard to see and are only in the maples. The original pic was 700k and I had to resize it to around 80k so it did lose some definintion.
    \
    NCSU, the growth regulators are very easy to apply. I will be using them basically so that the tree roots don't overgrow their confined spaces where there is so much concrete around. Application is once every 2-3 years based on trees and tree growth above ground is cut to a minimum while roots are strenghted and more drought tolerant. I would have to think that it would be much easier applying Cambistat than having to reprune the trees every 2-3 years and to boot, the pears would last much longer until they inevitably had to come down or fell down blocking traffic here until someone came and cleaned them up. Its a bank and the alley serves as a drive for other businesses.

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I wasnt familiar with that growth regulator. Seems simple enough. But i would still prune them out this year because its just going to add to problems down the road.