Trim? Viking, 32 or 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PMLAWN, May 26, 2004.

1. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Looking to replace the 21" with an Exmark Viking. This will be used on my smaller lots and as a trim mower.
    My question is, What is the difference between the 32 and 36 as far as trimming goes? does the deck stick out farther on the 36 or is the track wider also?
    I know that I could save $ with a single hydro unit but I have a lot of hills and slopes and want the added control of dual hydro.
    Any remarks from those of you familiar with the Viking are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hello, I have the 32"Viking & 36TTHP's...The 36" has a smaller footprint & floating deck which makes it a Much Better Trim Mower!

3. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

I recently purchased a Brand New Exmark Viking 36" to replace the 21". I have not yet taken delivery yet, Full reports as soon as it is delivered.
    One thing, changing cutting height means changing the level of the blades with spacers or removing the drive wheels.

4. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

Burger...You Need 4 Blade Spacers for Discharge & 3 for Mulching for a Premium Cut!....Please Use the Caster Spacers Only to Adjust Height...or the aXle change occasionally if you need eXtreme height adjust!

5. PMLAWN

Thanks guys, I will have to weight the cost of the floting deck against the pain of caster adj. At this point I only adj. height on one job and this mower would not leave trailer at that job. Thanks again,

6. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

Hello PMLAWN...If you're cutting 2.75" & Above & Rarely need to Change Height, the Viking Will Fit the Bill....In the Spring cutting @ 2"-2.5" the Tracer HP's do a Much Nicer Job & You Don't have to be constantly worried about popping the deck to avoiud Scalping..Especially when reversing!

7. PMLAWN

Fareway, Thanks for the reply. I have been cutting at 3.5" on all but one account this spring.
    My thought on the flote deck was that on a 32" I would not have to much of a problem with scalping. I went with the HP on my Metro because it was a 48 and I felt than that it might be a problem.
    The decks are the same on the TTHP and the Viking, are they not? I take your comment on the hp having a better cut is therefore based on the floating deck. This is all stuff that I will consider. Thanks again for all your help. I was hoping you would reply. I knew that you had the Viking.

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, this spacer and axle stuff for changing cutting height is news to me. Would any of you please break down for me? Are ya'll referring to doing all this to change the height from lawn to lawn or is this more of a permanent set-up type thing?

I have been considering a 32" hydro WB but certainly don't want to go through great pains just to use it. My 1995 Toro belt drive 32" only requires that you pull 4 cotter pins and a couple rods out to change the deck height, which is a pain in and of itself. No big deal but I couldn't spend 4k on a new machine that would be harder than that to change cutting height. Hopefully I'm just misunderstanding.

Please help me out here. Thanks.

9. PMLAWN

I believe you have a floating deck which hangs from the frame by 4 rods. Yes, in 30 Sec. you can change height. A fixed deck has the front caster wheels welded to the deck and are fixed. The caster kingpin is longer than the sleeve and by putting washers on top or on the bottom of the sleeve you can adj. the height of the deck. It takes more time and can get messy because of the grease. You have to pull the kingpin out of the sleeve.
    Also on larger decks you run the risk of scalping on uneven ground.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

PMLAWN,

So that is the ritual you have to go through every time you go to a different yard that requires a different height?? Please say no! I could never do that. I hardly ever cut two lawns in a row exactly the same height.