1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimec/2,4-D Odor "Mask"-er

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kenel, Aug 27, 2007.

1. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

Hello lawnsite members,

I'm at my witts' end trying to find a decent product that will mask the 2,4-d smell of the Trimec we'll be spraying for broadleaf this year. We've used in the past a product called Mask-It (which isn't in production this year), and N-7C from Epoleon (which provided extremely unsatisfactory results).

I don't want to get myself in the trick bag this year, and when I don't use an odor mask product, we receive phone calls out the wazoo.

Any suggestions? I've called all the suppliers we have, no one seems to carry anything but N-7C anymore. Thanks in advance!
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Bite the bullet. Pay a little more. Try Lesco "Eliminate Low Odor" weed killer. Better than Three Way--no odor and it is almost as clear as water.

Also you could add about a pint per hundred gallons of laundry detergent, as a wetting agent-spreader/sticker. Wets the weeds better--plus it smells nice. Like clothes fresh out of the dryer.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here is what we use. This stuff is nothing but awesome. we get alot of comments from customers and neighbors say. "Hey,..That stuff smells pretty good!"
    It is amazing how far this stuff goes, because it is mixed per actual ingredient, not amount of total mix. I use about a teaspoon per acre. It totally covers up ANY smell of 2,4-D and other chems. the company is great to work with, and they will send it right out. Here is the link to another thread regarding this. The company link is in this thread (see my posts).
  4. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

We used lesco 3-way products before, VERY unhappy with them -- I'll only buy PBI Gordon Trimec brand(s) any more. The t-mec classic is "low odor" but still stinks.

After I made this post, I received a call back from lesco rep with a product called "hawkeye". going to see if that works out, ordered a half dozen bottles.

Runner, I remember reading your post about mint oil, couldn't find a supplier though. If this hawkeye doesn't work out, i'm definitely up for just about anything.

5. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

For future reference, Runner, where did you buy this from? After reading the label, it seems like the mint alternative to what I was using before (Mask-It, which is a citrus smell). VERY interested.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You state you can't get Three Way to work so you use PGI Gordon's Trimec.

Do you realize that these products have the exact same actives?

Are you sure there wasn't something else going on and you just thought it was the product?

I buy the cheapest chemicals possible as long as the AI is the same! AI is AI! Doesn't matter who's name is on it!
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry about that. I thought the link on the old thread would act as a direct link. Here is the direct link. Go to the product tab (top of page), and go to specialty products. It is called Odor-Scent. These guys are out of California. http://www.customagformulators.com/
  8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Triplett LO (Low Odor) is the ticket.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hawkeye is a silicone-based wetting agent--with masking fragrance-- wintergreen.
    Cost is about $31.25 for two quarts. 49 cents per ounce.

Use 38 ounces per 100 gallons. (That is $18.62.)

Eliminate is better--Eliminate LOw Odor, better yet.

Also the newer products like Quicksilver have almost no odor. Kill mostly annual weeds, but you only need a couple ounces per acre.

Also triclopyr has almost no odor.
  10. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

This is a good topic.

Is Cidekick still around?