Trimec 899 vs. Speedzone

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KTNC, Jun 26, 2006.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

I finally was able to visit a Tractor Supply store (new to our area) and was all set to buy some Speedzone (previously the strongest herbicide I could find was Ortho Weed-B-Gone). The price for the Speedzone was $18 for a 20 oz. container. I keep looking around and I find a gallon jug of Trimec 899 for $45. After comparing the labels they seem to be almost identical in active ingredients (and made by the same company too) so I finally figured I might as well take the Trimec 899 as it seemed like a much better deal.

I would appreciate thoughts/opinions on these two, are they basically same? And what would be mixing rates for spot spraying - 1oz per 1 gallon of water? BTW - my biggest weed problems are dandelions and clover.

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mixing rates are on the label. Only have used Speedzone and always worked great but it is pricey.

3. Speedzone is a great product. I have used it as my weapon of choice in 2004 and 2005. My distributor stopped offering it so I mix my own with Quicksilver and Trimec 992.

The Carfentrazone really beefs up the killing power, and weeds show injury much faster.

It's my understanding that Trimec 899 is being phased out. Here is a link to the PBI website that indicates that.

http://www.pbigordon.com/professional/herbicides_trimec.php

Take a look at Trimec 992, and you will see a little note under it about Trimec 899.

4. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies... While searching this topic, it does seem that Seedzone is an excellent product, but its cost is prohibitive. I'm basically trying to assure myself that Trimec 899 is as effective (basically has the same exact ingredients with the exception of carfentrazine..?) Any other Trimec 899 users out there?

5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Trimec 889 is good stuff, maybe not as fast as Speedzone.

6. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Agree. You might need to plan on a repeat treatment at 2-3 weeks to get some of the harder to control viny and waxy weeds, though, if you have alot of them.

It's identical ingredient-wise to the Trimec 992. The 992 labelling states it is for professional use only.....

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if memory serves correct, 899 and 992 are the exact same, except that PBI gordon labled the 992 for... sod farm/golf course? anyway i like the 992, but have been using triplet sp. the thing i dont like about the 992 is that it foams in the tank, and the triplet does not.

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

If i recall correctly, Triplet and Trimec 992 are pretty much the same active ingredients, as well. Hadn't noticed the foaming thing. Thanks.

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i think it's in the 'other' % of ingredients that different manufactures add their surfactants, and so forth. i do like both products though, and you cant beat the price. $56 2.5 gallon Vs. $125 gallon for speedzone? (not sure of the price on speedzone this year)

10. I used Trimec992 all this year and have had no foaming. When I come to a lawn with a lot of weeds or some tough weeds, I add some Quicksilver and kiss those weeds goodbye.