trimec 992 in 90 degree temp.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redbuckcavs, Jun 4, 2008.

1. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

We have been receiving alot of rain and the lawns are growing fast. However I need to get my weed control applied:dizzy:

With all the rain is it safe to apply Trimec 992 liquid weed control with a slow released granular fert?If the temp gets in the low 90 degrees, If there is a chance of burning the lawn I can go to my local co-op and they can custom blend a liguid weeed control ( 2-4D, Banvel ,Mccp)

What active ingredient causes a better chance of burning---the 2-4D or Banvel or MCPP

Thanks in advance

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Thanks Ejk2352,

With the horrible weather we've had. I am behind schedule and need to apply weed control. Since there is plenty of moisture in the soil and the lawns and weeds are "actively" growing I was hoping to get started before the next ''drought'' arrives.

I can mix a solution similar to Trimec (24-D----- Dicamba--- Mcpp) and reduce the active ingredient of the chemical that may cause the most damage during the heat. I would think Dicamda would need to be reduced. However I would like someones elses input

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm with you.. the i'm just starting R2 spraying do the rain (NO complaint here). follow the lable, but with the rain we've had and are still getting, the grass is anything but heat stressed.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco Momentum has a more flexible label. "Do not apply when excessively hot or dry." So you decide what is excess. I never worry about it. If you are not using liquid fertilizer, you should be OK. High temps are expected. Potential rain. Expect fungus problems.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Actual temperature here is close to or above 90 every day the sun is out. If I were bound to that rule, all broadleaf herbicides would be out. As long as the turf is not under drought or nutritional stress, you should be fine. Having said that, I will not treat a lawn that is not irrigated or is not on my fertilzer program. Cool season grasses actually are more tolerant of phenoxy herbicides than warm season grasses. They will even take triclopyr very well. If you want to be safe, I would use a combo of 2,4-D and Banvel(dicamba). Up to 1 lb 2,4-D per acre and 4 oz of dicamba. I have used this as 2,4-D ester + Banvel on hybrid bermuda, which is very sensitive with no problems. You might also be able to use 1/2 lb Turflon and 1/2 lb ester. The best thing to do is try it on a 1000-2000 sq ft area. The regular 3 way products I find more damaging to the turf than the weeds. The amine formulation does not penetrate into weeds that are hardened off due to months of growing in the heat and being mowed repeatedly. MCPP is a herbicide that seems to add to the damage of the lawn and not do more to the weeds.

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Greendoc..............Thinkin that if he had to ask this question....your info is just a wee bit over his head.

8. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

We continue to apply 992 or 3-way up to about 95 deg. if the lawn is not drought stressed, and the customer waters regularly. We just use the 1.1 oz per 1000 rate with no problems. Another option, and to me a much better product than any phenoxy type herbicides is metsulfuron methyl. You will not see as quick of results, but it works very well. I have applied it in 95+ temps. with not injury whatsoever to bermuda. If you need (or customer) needs quick visual results, add Carfentrazone-ethyl, and you will see extremly fast results.

John.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

yo

St Augustine being very susceptible to herbicides I lower my rate and spray on in the summer.

10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Metsulfuron is great on sensitive lawns like centipede and st augustine. It kills things the safe rate of Trimec leaves. I once treated st augustine in October in 90+ heat at 1/2 oz with 1 oz of Quicksilver to take out a massive infestation of creeping indigo and oxalis. The grass handled no problems. Would not dream of putting even Trimec Southern on in those conditions. Not to mention how useless it is against those weeds.