trimec classic

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evan528, Apr 16, 2000.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

ive mentioned several times about how i love trimec plus so much but im lookig to switch because its so hard to mixed...its like pancake batter.... also for this time of the year i didnt need the extra chemical in it that kills the crabbgrass. i was just at a local landscape supply store and was talking to the guy there about the trimec classic. he said that the clasic was in a pure liquid form and works great so i bought a gallon for 34 bucks. does trimec classic work as good as trimec plus. for those that use it at how many ounces per gallon is it most effective without harming the grass. i apply all my herbicides in a backpack sprayer.

2. peacedog

peacedog LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Trimec Classic works excellent. I think the label rate is 1.5 oz per gallon, but double check the label.<p>----------<br>Blake<br>www.fertalawn.com

3. Evan528

the label dosnt really give an exact amount per gallon it says an amount per 1000 square feet. what rate do you use it at?

4. Per the label<br>http://www.trimec.com/Product_Pages/Product_Labels/Trimec_Classic_DSC_Label.pdf<p>trimec classic is a dry product that comes<br>packaged in pre measured water soluble bags.

5. Evan528

no it isnt... it is a liquid concentrate but you may be able to get it in the dry form.

6. Ok this one right?<br>http://www.trimec.com/Product_Pages/Product_Labels/Trimec_Classic_Brand_Label.pdf<p>General app cool season grass apply 1.2 to 1.5 fl oz to 1/2 to 6 gals of water per 1000<br>sq ft.<p>Not much info eh? A little vague eh?

7. Evan528

exacly lawrence! those amounts are quite vague! most other brands at least tell you for example: mix one ounce to every gallon of water. the guy where i bought it old me 2 ounces to a gallon but im not gonna go by him.. hes probly never even used it.

8. DTM65

DTM65 LawnSite Member

Well, I've been waiting to post on this one until I saw the results. Used Trimec Classic for the first time on my lawn.<p>I used a pull behind boom sprayer. The sprayer coverage is approx. 0.50 acres in 20 to 25 minutes based on a full tank of 25 gallons.<p>I used a concentration 2 pints per 25 gallon tank. Therefore, it took about the gallon of Trimec Classic to cover my 2 acres. The concentrate is not viscous at all and mixed very well in the tank.<p>Results - after about two weeks the weeds look like the got some serious &quot;hurtin'&quot; on them. Many already for the most part dead. Grass looks fine. FYI - I'm using this in Southern Indiana. Grass is a equal mixture of K31, Camolot, Lexas, and Vegas.<p>Warning for the pros - I'm a homeowner doing this to my own lawn. Don't have a &quot;what-a-ma-callit&quot; license. BUT, I know how to read labels and measure the square footage areas of my yard. So I thought I would post this info if anyone was interested.<p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>

9. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

The proper way to determine how much to use is to calibrate your sprayer. To do this clean and fill your sprayer with clean water. Mark off a 1000 sq ft area, and spray it using your sprayer with the nozzle and walking speed you intend to work with. Fill your sprayer to a known quatitity (ie 3.0 gallons)then spray the area as you would spray if treating for weeds. Once the area is covered, refill the sprayer with a measureing cup to determine how much spray it took to cover 1000 sq feet. Once you know that you will know how many ounces of product to put in the sprayer without risking turf damage.<p>Sprayer calibration is VITAL to properly applying product. For example the last post from DTM points this out quite clearly. He stated that it took 1 gallon of product to cover two acres.<p>2 acres = 88,000 Sq ft.<br>1 gallon= 128 ounces<p>88/ 128 = .69 ozs per 1000 sq ft<p>This is an extremely low rate of product since the label says use 1 to 1.5 oz per 1000 and explains why its taken two weeks for the weeds to look like they are hurting. It should take two days for leaf curl to be visible.<p>Since Trimec is a restricted use pesticide in NJ I dont know how a homeowner got his hands on his but I strongly recommend that you get trained and cetified before you start applying chemicals. You can do a great deal of damage without much effort and end up costing you your business.<p>One final note: Make sure you have pesticide coverage in your insurance policy. Not all packages have this and you will be responsible for the full cost of cleanup if you &quot;nuke&quot; someones lawn accidently.

10. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<p>I live in NJ too and its quite easy to buy trimec now. One of the large garden centers actually has it right on the shelf next to the roundup. They never ask any questions when anyone buys it. I don't quite understand how they get away with it. <p>As for rates, I use 2oz per gallon. I find this to be most effective for my application. We have a lot of 'swamp' weeds as I call them that work there way out of the woods into my lawn areas during the spring. At this rate, it takes them right out and they don't come back. I used lower rates, but they were ineffective at controlling a lot of the weeds. <p>As for the 2 week wilting period, thats way to long. I usually get good visible signs after 24 hours only, and very visible signs after 48. I would definitely bump up your rate some. Most of those weeds you sprayed will come right back. You may have stunted them, but I doubt they will die completely. <p>steveair