Trimec dilution ratio in Texas - what's best?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by landcruiser, May 17, 2005.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

I just bought Trimec and have never used it before (just got my private applicators license). The label says, "use .75oz. of Trimec to .5gal water or 1.5oz of Trimec to 6gal of water per 1000 square feet". This is a huge difference so what do you recommend I try to start? I have 80% bermuda/20% St. Augustine but will not spray the St. Augustine since it is more vulnerable and doesn't have weeds bad anyway. Most of my weeds are dandelion, clovers and some sort of weed in the "dill" family. I have a pretty serious infestation of this "dill" family weed in my bermuda. I have no experience spraying anything and just want some guidelines on what ratio to try - I don't want to kill my grass but don't want to put it out so weak that it doesn't kill my weeds. I will be using a simple 15 gallon spray rig with an electric (12volt) pump and a 15 foot hose with wand. Thanks for any suggestions based on your experience.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Which trimec are you using? Classic? I thought its label read Use .5 oz to 1.5 ounce in 1/2 gallon to 6 gallons of water. What is important is the active ingredient that you use per 1,000sf (.5 oz to 1.5oz) I now spray at 1 gal per 1,000 sf out of a backpack. If you have a tank and an average size lawn (12,000 SF of turf or less), I would spray at 2 gallons per 1,000 SF at probably 1 oz to start to see if you get control. You might find that you need to go to the 1.5 oz rate. Your best bet is to time your output of water for 1 minute, then mark off 1,000 SF area and practice spraying the area with 2 gallons of water in 1 minute (adjust if you have a 1.8 gallon per minute pump). After you have it figured out, spray the area for real and look at the control after 1 week. If it is not good, then up the dose of active (maybe go to 1.2oz).

3. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

I would follow marko's advice on calibration. For the weeds you decribed I would go toward the high rate of 1.5oz/1000 sq.ft. It is a safe product for bermuda.

4. landcruiser

from Tx

marko, it is Trimec Classic but reads:
    for commom bermuda - 1.2-1.5 ounces of product to .5-6 gallons of water per 1000 square feet
    for hybrid bermuda - .75- 1.5 ounces of product to .5-6 gallons of water per 1000 square feet.

I believe I have common or "native" bermuda as I think hybrid bermuda is called "coastal" bermuda here and is often seen in pastures for hay production. "Coastal" bermuda is very long and looks different than my "common" bermuda if I have my terminology correct.

5. landcruiser

from Tx

marko, are you saying since I have a tank, I should start with the 1.0 oz or Trimec per gallon of water and then spray 2 gallons of the solution every 1000 square feet? Or are you saying 1 oz of Trimec in 2 gallons of water every 1000 square feet (which is actually the minimal recommendation of .5oz Trimec per

6. landcruiser

from Tx

marko, are you saying since I have a tank, I should start with the 1.0 oz of Trimec per gallon of water and then spray 2 gallons of the solution every 1000 square feet? Or are you saying 1 oz of Trimec in 2 gallons of water every 1000 square feet (which is actually the minimal recommendation of .5oz Trimec per 1 gallon water)? Sorry, for the confusion I just want to do what experience tells me and I have none, you do I assume. Thanks.

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

The label means that they recommend you using .5 oz up to 1.5 oz of Trimec every 1,000 square feet in anywhere from 1/2 gallon to 6 gallons of water. What you need to determine is your flow rate (how much liquid comes out of the nozzle in 1 minute. The average person can spray 1,000 SF in a minute. If you have a 1.8GPM pump and it actually pumps that amount, I would learn to cover 1,000 SF in a minute, then start out spraying 1 oz of chemical for every 1.8 gallons of water.
    To put it another way, if you spray at 2 GPM and have 10,000 square feet to cover, you will need 20 gallons of water, 10 ounces of Trimec (at the 1 oz/1000 rate) to cover your turf.

The carrier (water) has no effect. If you spray .5 oz of Trimec in 1/2 gallon of water over 1,000 SF or .5 oz Trimec in 6 gallons of water over 1,000SF. The higher the water rate the longer it takes to spray, but you might get better coverage and control.

Go to Lesco and get a gallon of Surfacant for $25. It will lower the surface tension of water and aid it in better coverage (spreading the drop over the plant, rather than letting it bead up)

8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Since you are just starting out, you might want to get some marker at Lesco, too. It will allow you to more easily see where you are over-applying and under-applying. I think they sell it by the gallon for around $30 per gallon.

Also, since you are trying to figure out how much you applying with a backpack sprayer, you will notice that if you pump the handle a lot, you get more pressure, which means more output per minute from the nozzle. If you allow the pressure to die down, you get a lot less pressure and flow from the nozzle. The only way to really get a "handle" on the backpack sprayer is a lot of experience. Any guy with a backpack and low experience levels will inevitably have varying coverages in different parts of the lawn because the pressure in the backpack is changing dramatically. You will also notice that pressure and flow are changing more dramatically when the tank is full and near full as compared to when it's empty or near empty. Keep this in mind.

If you are uncomfortable using the backpack, because of the varying output caused by fluctuating pressures, you might look into Lesco's 15 gallon spray rig. I think they sell this unit for about $200. It runs on battery and would insure that you have consistent pressure throughout the entire application of your lawn. Since you are inexperienced, I think this would be a much better choice of equipment than a backpack.

Whatever you do, DO NOT EXCEED the labeled rates of active ingredient per thousand square feet.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

9. landcruiser

from Tx

DFW, I am going to use a 15 gallon spray tank w/electric pump. I already have one.

10. landcruiser

from Tx

greenerpastures and marko, I calibrated my spray rig. The pump says it's 1.8gpm but I did it 3 times and it pumps almost exactly 1gpm. It's new and never been used. I marked off 1000 sf and it took me about 8-10 minutes to spray it and about 10 gallons of water... I guess I was being too deliberate but I spray what I felt was adequate to saturate the grass. Is this ok? Heck, I don't see how anyone sprays a true 1000sf with 1-2 gallons of water.