trimec in tennessee

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lizard7499, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lizard7499

lizard7499 LawnSite Member

if there is anyone in tennessee maybe you can help me out. about 5 years ago my boss said trimec plus is outlawed in tennessee. i never checked into it so i really dont know but i would like to use it to control dallisgrass in fescue. if anybody knows could you let me know. or maybe another product to control dallisgrass in fescue.

2. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Yes it is still legal to apply Trimec plus (MSMA) on lawns in Tn. My next question would be why? MSMA and other Arsenates are soon to be removed from the approved list of chemicals. Dallisgrass is a particularly tough customer to deal with in Fescue lawns. If this is in a common-Bermuda/Hybrid lawn then a applications of MSMA alone may give some level of control but, in all likelihood will simply stunt the Dallisgrass or worse yet damage the turf while the Dallisgrass survives or even thrives after treatment. "Wick" or sponge applications of Glyphosate offer better control for less money depending on the level of infestation. Addition of Trimec is a waste of product if you are simply after Dallisgrass control alone.

3. lizard7499

well some lawns are bad and would take hours to treat like that so i was looking for a better way to handle it. i do use the sponge method if there is only a few. thanks for the help

4. tngreen

tngreen LawnSite Member

Lizard, I'm in chattanooga shoot me a number and i can help you out, i've been in the chem biz for 25 years, can help with options.

5. lizard7499

any help i can get would be great.

6. lizard7499

im sorry i typed in the wrong #. 593-1588. thats my #. DUH!!!