Trimec Plus (be careful)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Terraformer, May 27, 2008.

1. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I used Trimec Plus (3 way w/post emergent crabgrass control) for the first time - on my own property. The warning about damage to KB and fescue is understated in my opinion. I mixed to the max and got significant yellowing of the turf - even with low temperatures (< 70 degrees). The good news is the crabgrass, clover and g-ivy are hurt real bad. We got rain the other day and the yellow spots are all but gone. Even though the product works, I don't believe the customer will be quite so understanding.

I haven't decided if I'm going to use as part of my general arsenal - maybe only limited use.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I burned a fine fescue lawn with MSMA. It did not kill the crabgrass, (July, years ago). Now I only use Drive for post emergent crabgrass control.

3. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

"Mixed to the max" sounds like your fault, not the Trimec's fault.

4. Real Green

Real Green LawnSite Senior Member

I think he's simply just passing along his honest experience to help those out who are considering using it. This isn't a post encouraging the blame game.

Thanks for the heads-up. As there are numerous zones and varities of grasses on this board, I will def. pay attention to my mixing ratio and test a lawn or two should I decide to use it. Take care.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You have crabgrass already?

6. Terraformer

When I stated "mixed to the max" I was referring to the max application rate as specified by the label. The label also specifically states "Injury may occur from this product to mixed stands of Kentucky blue-grass and red fescues (chewing fescue, creeping fescue and spreading fescues). If you are unwilling to accept some degree of turf injury, then do not use this product for mixed stands."

Believe it!

Not blaming Trimec... just passing on friendly information:dizzy:

7. Terraformer

Yup... primarily on south facing slopes that have thin stands of turf.

8. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, but what happened to your turf is exactly what the label said. What was the surprise or the important information?

9. Terraformer

Thanks for your concern, but as I stated in my original post my turf is just fine. Since I always test products, prior to using commercially, there are never surprises - just observations. As to whether or not the information I posted is important... your words, not mine.

10. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

geeeeez!

someone passes along a personal experience and the lawn morality police come out in droves. the guy didn't come on saying "TRIMEC PLUS KILLDED MY LAWNZZZ!!!! I WANTS TO SUE!!!!" he just shared what happened and what he got for results. so many people here are so quick to jump all over others.