Trimec Plus mixed with Acclaim?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HenryB, Jul 26, 2009.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone ever try this? Throwing some ideas. Might be a decent mix. Any experience?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

No good. Phenoxy herbicides such as the Trimec in Trimec Plus cancels out the effect of Acclaim on grassy weeds. If you need to do both broadleaves and grasses, I suggest Turflon Ester + Acclaim.

3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank You You saved me a lot of time and experimenting.:waving:

4. greendoctor

I am only suggesting this because I actually use that tank mix on zoysia here. The intended target is grassy weeds, but a happy side effect is control of broadleaves like spurge, oxalis and clovers.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I believe the Plus part of trimec plus is MSMA for crabgrass.

6. greendoctor

Sure is. Can't think of a reason why someone would want to apply MSMA to cool season grasses with good alternatives available.

7. turf hokie

I agree completely, I am stuck with Acclaim or RTU weed-b-gone with Quinclorac.:hammerhead:

I mix eliminate with acclaim

But in NJ I would use Drive.

8. greendoctor

Eliminate is a phenoxy Three Way. There is no Drive or quinclorac allowed in Hawaii at all. My rationale for selecting one herbicide over the other is efficacy on the target weeds and side effects on the desirable turf. I have seen one guy who should have done more thinking burn holes in a zoysia lawn right before a big party on the property with MSMA. Got the same weeds killed with Turflon and no damage or discoloration of the grass.

9. turf hokie

We have been using eliminate and spraying acclaim together for about 3 years, ever since they pulled chlopyralid off the market. Results have not been different at all. We mix to go after the crabgrass and put the eliminate as a bonus.

I always thought it was the 2-4d that was the problem with acclaim, since eliminate does not have it, no problems.

10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I believe it says on the Acclaim label NOT to mix it with 24d products. Does not completely cancel it out, but does reduce the efficacy of both.

(warning! geek content: this is called an antagonistic reaction)