trimer guards on or off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Jun 24, 2002.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i usally take off my trimmer guards because it enhances edging.but today i put one one my mechanic said you can burn you clutch out like that.i see aot of guys who have there strings like helicopter strings thats were i would assume damage i keep mine at a decent lenth.when it gets to short than i bump the head once .what do you guys do.

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had this discussion before but usually on the merits of saftey or lack there of.

My dealer told me the same thing last week. Too long of string will burn out the clutch.
    I have always left the guard on for saftey reasons. Insurance frowns on the guards being off of equipment if you want to make a claim.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I go through about 1 clutch a year using mine every day every week here in FL, cost about $20. Its well worth it for the time it saves, and if you ever have an insurance claim, and they want to see your gaurd, just go put it on, then go find another insurance company.

4. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

On. How does having them off save time?

5. Scott is right leave it on. if for any reason your eyes. Safety is everything

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Leave the guard on. I always keep the guard on my trimmer all the time. It is for safety reason.

Safety first. Live with it.

7. SterlingLawn

SterlingLawn LawnSite Member

Been running trimmers with guard off for thirteen years. This years I kept one on a new trimmer for awhile just to see the difference. Definitely slowed me down. Needed a longer line than guard would allow for. Probably just a personal preference but I like a better whip with longer line. Dealer always tells me that it is the preference with most companies they deal with but make sure I put guard back on when I bring it for service. Warranty void without it.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I always ran them on. Last year I took it off for a while. It did save time trimming having it off. Have much more string out to get it faster. It is a noticable difference at first. Then after eating rocks always, I left a new trimmer guard on. I was surprised at how it made me even faster. It was like it helped me get even better with the trimmer. Can't explain it, but its true. Now all guards are back on.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Like only a week or so ago!!! :rolleyes:

I have mine ON. For only one reason....

I like the cutoff knife on there.

On ECHO's you can "flip" the knife and gain a additional 1" (2" total) of string.

The guards block just about nothing from hitting you! It is just an elaborate cutoff knife holder for me!

TAP - AND - GO!!!

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I just took the gaurd off one trimmer last week just to see what the fuss was about.
    I definatley like it off better. First, I was surprised how much lighter it felt. My arms were less tired after doing a cluster of 3 lawns at once.
    I touch up edges each week using trimmer, and I could see better without gaurd.
    I was able to get into tighter spaces then I could with the gaurd on.
    I could trim around small obsticles without having to move around the object. In other words, I can trim with all sides of the trimmer head. With gaurd on you can only trim with front and some of the sides, but not the back.

It does send more debris in my direction (especially when edging), but on a positive note, it did get me to finally wear my eye protection!!!!