1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Triming around a fence ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nitro Junkie, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Nitro Junkie

Nitro Junkie LawnSite Member
    from va

Any tips on triming and not dinging the pickets or turning the bottoms green ?

Do you charge an extra to trim around a fence ? If so how do you figure the cost ?

Thanks fellas ! :cool:
  2. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Don't trim around them, but of course it will look like sh$$. I never charge extra to trim. Don't you include mowing, trimming and blowing as one service?
  3. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Be carful, slow down. Best I can tell ya. you can try trimming vertical like you would along a sidewalk. It lests you get close wihtout beating against the fence but you prob. have to go back and trim flat also.
  5. Nitro Junkie

Nitro Junkie LawnSite Member
    from va

New to the biz and will spend the rest of the year getting it setup and begin work in the spring. I was going to make mowing/trimming/blowing as part of the service :drinkup:

However just like mowing a small lot compared to large , you charge more for it. For example my own lot is a little over 10,500 s.f. with the entire rear yard fenced in with no landscaping along it on either side it's approx 250' so trim both the inside and out and your looking at trimming 500' ! Thats like trimming around and extra house or two at least !

Am i way off here or just a damn newb ! ;) :)
  6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

yOU are right nitro. Trimming is about the biggest variable next actual size when determining the time invlolvedto do a lawn. A small lawn with can take longer than a larger one just because of the trimming. Corner lot=twice as much sidewalk to trim/edge. lOts of trees = you have to walk and trim around each one. fences, don't get me started.

The best thing I hae found to help wtht trimming and edging is the edgit. Go to www.edgit.com and check into it. Also search lawnsite.
  7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

A light touch with round-up works well in some situations. just don't be like my neighbor and spray full blast INTO the neighbors yard. he killed a path of grass about 2 feet wide on MY side. I was pissed. Oh......he heard about it, thats for sure. He apologized and said he would spray from my side next time. LOL. I told him let me spray please. I can get about 2 inches on each side of the fence only to die out.

He does the same thing when he mows. The front is not fenced. I cut at 3.5 inches, he cuts at about 2 or less. sometimes, he comes about 4 feet into my beautiful fescue and scalps it. Its about time to put up some shrubbery to block his path...LOL

Dang, I got off subject quick....Sorry.
  8. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

In my own yard, I use an 8" strip of heavy outdoor carpeting centered under the chain link fences (cutouts around posts). It has lasted for years (seems like forever, well over 5 years) and makes trimming much easier (often trim only every 3rd or 4th mowing).
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Could you spray a PGR like Embark and lessen the trimming?
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

That's my plan once I get my app license!