Trimmer - $200 most bang for your buck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cujrh10, May 21, 2010.

1. cujrh10

cujrh10 LawnSite Member

Hey fellas, I'm on a budget and have roughly $200 or less to spend on a weed trimmer. I want something that will last so the home depot black and decker model is out of the question :D. I'm not a huge outfit so my trimmer wont be subject to as much use as alot of yours are. Just give me some ideas please. i've done some searching on here but it doesnt seem anyone has cross referenced top trimmers by price range really

Thanks!

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Husqvarna 125L for $199!!! Right at edge with a dollar to spare!!:laugh::laugh: They sell it in Lowes and OSH.

But I would spend extra twenty something dollars to fit a Shindaiwa SpeedFeed head on also.

For $200, this is it. 28cc, plenty of power, much more durable than those Crapsman, Ryobi, Troybilt stuff.

If you only need a small trimmer, Echo SRM225 is good for $219.

3. cujrh10

cujrh10 LawnSite Member

what type of head does the husq 125 come with? whats the diffference between shindaiwa's speed feed head and the typical pound head? (yeah, pound head, i just made that up :D)

4. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

5. jhawk60

jhawk60 LawnSite Member
    from VA

The speed feed head lets you slip a piece of line through and then twist the head to load it. Putting on new line takes only a minute or less.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I was at the Home Depot the other day looking for trimmer heads. I didn't see any Echo 210's. So I don't know if they quit making them or quit carrying them or if they were out of stock. The 210's have a lot of power and last about 3 or 4 years if you take good care of them. Very dependable. $200 to $225 range:usflag:
    Oh yea, I can run one around 2 hours on a tank of fuel

7. jimshack

jimshack LawnSite Member

I have a little stihl fs55 that was about $200. for general weekly accounts it works fine, light weight and plenty strong enough for that work.

8. Alan0354

They change to SRM225.

9. Alan0354

10. cujrh10

cujrh10 LawnSite Member

my luck, i about ordered one of these off of ebay for 175 yesterday but decided I needed to do some more research. Do you use a Kaw trimmer?