Trimmer Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grassroots, May 25, 2000.

1. Grassroots

Grassroots LawnSite Member

I own a small lawn care company and we have been using HomeLite Trimmers up until now. I am planning to purchase a commercial grade trimmer this week and am seeking advice to which would be the best chioce on three available (on our budget). <p>1) Shindiawa 22T :22cc (made for res. use)$199.00<br>2) Echo SRM 2100 : 21.2cc (low end commercial) $199.00<br>3) Stihl FS80 : 25.4cc (comm. use) $279.00<p>For the price, which is the best selection. I have heard good things about both Shindiawa and Sthil, but have had mixed results from our ECHO products in the past (one bad machine out of three). Any advice and/or recommendations will be apprecaited. <p><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

2. GRASSCHOPPERS

GRASSCHOPPERS LawnSite Member

I have two T230s and think they work great price is 250.00 but but worth it dont know much about the others so i cant say which is best but i would go for commercial not residential grade just in case you need warranty work done they cant say you misused it

3. Grassroots

I would like to add to my original post that the Stihl Trimmer is cable driven while the other two are straight shaft driven. The Stihl is heavy but balanced well. The Shindy is light and balanced well. The Echo is average weight but feels somewhat akward.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, <br>My Homelite died a few weeks ago, I have finished my mourning period. My choice for a replacement was between the Stihl FS-80 and the Shindy T-230. I went with the T-230, it was $5.00 less.<p>RedMax is also popular...use the search button above to view the many previous discussions on this topic.

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The Stihl also has a lifetime warranty on that cable so there is no risk involved there. I haven't had any problems with mine and will buy another one.<p>Homer

6. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I used cheap trimmers until this year when I bought a stihl fs80. I love it and it has a lot more power than the cheap trimmers. I haven't had any problems with it but I don't know about long term reliability.

7. Grassroots

Glad to hear that the Stihl has a lifetime warranty on the cable. That was my major concern with the Stihl. Good info, Thanks.<br>

8. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

Get the redmax 2300. Best one.

9. lawnby

lawnby Guest

ILL SECOND THAT.........<br>RED MAX 2300 SERIES<br>USED BOTH RED MAX AND ECHO AND LOVE THE RED MAX. (COST MORE) BUT THE FEW EXTRA BUCKS ARE WORTH IT......

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Guest

Echo SRM-2601 - $299.00. Great machine and very light.