Trimmer advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Leonard036, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Leonard036

Leonard036 LawnSite Member

My 13 year old Craftsman 31 cc trimmer won't start, so it is time to junk it. I have narrowed my choices for a replacement to the following:

Husqvarna 323L $269, no tax or shipping from the Air Force Exchange
    Echo SRM230sp $269 + 8% tax, Home Depot
    Stihl FS80R $299 + 8% tax, local dealer
    Honda HHT25 $319, no tax or shipping (mail order), or $349 + 8% tax from the same dealer as the Stihl.

My wife likes the Honda. If I buy the Honda I will most likely buy it from the local dealer.

Any advice as to which is the better buy? I would assume if I take care of it, any of these would last at least as long as the Craftsman.

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'm biased toward the Echo myself. the SRM230 is my choice, but thats just cause I like it.

3. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

im partial to yhe honda ive had mine for year an its done squillion hours but from what i know of the others they are all good products i think the concern is really which one feels more comfortable

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Echo 230 it has been around for a long time...tried and proven. And I guess it is obvious you can get all the cord/2cycle oil etc from Home Depot if that is where you are going to buy it. Part for repair are easy to get and these units are easy to work on.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd recommend the Stihl, I have had very good luck with many differant stihl products over the years.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Stihl makes awsome equipment!!

7. Leonard036

Leonard036 LawnSite Member

We ended up buying the Honda.

It was a little heavier than the others, but it is still much lighter than the Craftsman it replaced. It is very quiet, starts very easily, and doesn't require mixing gas and oil. It was a tough decision between the Stihl and the Honda, but the fuel and ease of starting made Honda the choice.

We also decided to go for service over price, and bought from the local dealer.

The fact that the wife liked the Honda better had nothing to do with the decision. :)

8. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

And, I am going to second that advice. For years and years, now, I have had great luck with the Stihl line of equipment. Like the Energizer Bunny, .......

9. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I love echo.

10. trent515

trent515 LawnSite Member

I guess it is irrelevant now, but I love Shindaiwa. We abused the crap out of ours at work, and they never seemed to have a bit of trouble. We're talking about 0 rountine maintenance. I wouldn't buy anything else.