***trimmer Air Filter***

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jeds_Lawn_Care, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys do to clean the air filters in your trimmers:confused: ? I could use a quick response.:)

2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Have you tried soap and water yet? I have done it a couple of times with no problems.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The filters for my shindaiwas are so cheap that I just replace them every two or three months during the season.

4. Jeds_Lawn_Care

I figured that the filters were cheap. I did use soap and water, but the filter was oily when I took it out to clean it, and so I thought I needed to oil it. ???

Anyway, I did use some GTX motor oil (10w-30 i think) to oil it. Was I supposed to?

5. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Thanks guys for the quick response! You guys are such a help.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of trimmer? Usually, the air filters are only a few bucks so I just replace them and don't give it a second thought! JMO

7. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

The simplest method is to pour a little of the mixed gas from the tank over the filter (sponge types) and squeeze it out. That is it.

You do not need to oil it. The mist from the carb will keep it oiled with the mix.

Any other hard questions? It might be good to read your manual once in awhile, unless of course like many others you threw it away....:hammerhead: :waving:

8. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya LawnSite Member

I've known people that put their filters in the dishwasher. Not that I recommend it.

9. Jeds_Lawn_Care

I bought the equiptment used, otherwise I would still have the manual. I don't throw my manuals away.

10. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry Jed, didn't mean to cut so hard.

Most of us men have a thing about manuals. Good to hear you do keep yours also. Your post did not identify the equipment as having been obtained used. I incorrectly thought you had bought new.

I also have the benefit of having a very organized wife who has made sure during the last 28 years that all manuals go in a file drawer for the simple reason of future review. Otherwise I may never find them in the stacks of paperwork around here.