1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer and Edger maintanance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadA, May 24, 2005.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

How often and how difficult is it to grease your trimmers and edgers. I check my filters every day and check the plugs at least once a week but I have never greased anything on them. They get used about as much as my mowers so I know they could use it. I read the manual on how to do this and i'm kind of worried about taking it apart like that. It always seems when I take something apart it doesn't go back together the same. Is it safer to pay the $40 and have the dealer do it? Any help would be good.
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Hey man! You are way more diligent about your maintenence than I am on the edgers and stuff... I only check the air filters in the winter when I'm bored and the plugs go for a few years at times. If it's starting and running fine I'm not gonna mess with it. Heck my Tanaka hedge clippers were starting to run funny and I finally thought this spring that "hey, I haven't ever even see the air cleaner in this thing" Owned it for 4 years... A little dirty... Hell, I had never even noticed the grease zerk on the thing till the other day as I was adjusting the blades, as I have done many times before. Man, grease sure took all the clacking and rattling sound out of them! Who knew...

As for the trimmers, yeah I have pulled the shaft before and wiped some more grease on them. Don't know if was a good thing or a bad thing, couldn't have hurt. Some have a specific place on the head to put lube in, some don't. I know edgers do.
  3. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

do yourself a big favor and get a string-trimmer that has a grease point at the taphead area, and get yourself a grease gun. 5 pumps a year is probably all you'll need!

that will save you $40 at the dealers !
  4. ChadA

What brands of trimmers have grease points on the head. And does this grease the whole shaft. Also what about edgers.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl doesnt have a fitting. But there is a plug, just take it off and put the grease it there. They do have fittings on the hedge trimmers.
  6. ChadA

Ive done that but will that keep the shaft greased up?
  7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

My Red MAx BCZ2600S trimmer does, from the factory. I'm not sure about edgers.
  8. lowmiler

lowmiler LawnSite Member

My RedMax has a grease zerk. My Shindaiwea does not. I just bought a fitting and scewed it on for the Shindaiwa, most already have the hole.
  9. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

You didn't say what brand you have. I've got Echo trimmers and edger. The gears on the head don't seem to need grease very often as it is sort of contained in the gear casing the shaft I pull out and grease more often. Very simple on the Echo anyway loosen two bolts and unscrew the set screw and the head comes off, pull out the drive shaft, slap some lithium grease on it and slide it back in, and put the head back on. Very messy unless you use some disposable gloves.
  10. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

On my Stihl trimmer there's a screw at the bottom of the shaft. If you by the Stihl grease you just screw the tube head into the shaft(after you remove the little bolt) and squeeze the tube. Not very messy at all.