Trimmer and stick edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy348, May 18, 2003.

1. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

Would like to upgrade from my entry level unit and get an edger.

New to industry and need advice on an echo brand trimmer and stick edger. Also, best commercial trimmer line to use. Thanks
    (Think I got this post right)

2. Huften Lawn Care

Huften Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from CT

Echo PAS2400 with the edgit deflector. Its an edging guide for your trimmer that replaces the stock guide. Since it works with your string trimmer there is no need to purchase a stick edger.
    http://www.edgit.com/

3. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would buy a stick edger in stead of a edgit.It seems to look a lot neater when done with a blade rather than a line.I.M.O.

4. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

While I can see how the Edge-it contraption might help to keep an clean and straight AFTER it is edge, that certainly would not replace a metal blade edger.

Any of the Echo stick edgers do fine. Your decision should be based on how much eding are you going to doing. i.e. one property 2 times a year or 50 property with lots of concrete edges. Do you need the top of the line commerical or can you do well with the smaller engines for just the occasional use. That's based on your expected properties. And sometimes you will be forced to rent the bigger puch power edgers, for heavily overgrown edges and some use em for bedding edges.

Edging does not need to be done every week. Usually it's first round in the spring, and then once or twice through season depending on the site. A good trimmer person maintains the clean edge by running the trimmer line right IN the trough produced by the edger.

Same issue for the trimmer- depnds on your use. But since most use the trimmer all the time, it is not the place to skimp on few dollars. Go to the top of the line on that one. Go for straight shaft too. Easier and more useful once you get the feel.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree woth huften

I have an echo trimmer wiht an edgit. I might use a blade edger ONCE on a property I maintain. Thats it, once. After that use the trimmer and edgit each mowning and you will never need a blade again. Plus you don't have to switch machines in the middle of the job. If you need a blade edger for a first time or one time edging job, then rent one or watch for a cheap used one.

I will never have another trimmer without an edgit.

photo7001.jpg