Trimmer And Vinal Siding Dont Mix... "Oops"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Does anyone else have a problem with trimmers eating up clients vinal siding along the grade level? Ive found that smaller line helps some but still theres the inevitiable "oops" when the line cracks the siding or chips the bottom edge of a corner piece. What do you guys do about it?
  2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I do it from time to time and I just dont say anything. No one has ever complained
  3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It happens, but frequency can be minimized, by keeping the rev's lower, taking time a little more. I also keep the shield on one of my trimmers for this exact reason. This way I know exactly how long my line is. Spot spray with round-up on the weeds that are just too close to trim safely.
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I find that I do less damage to siding with my trimmer if I don't make contact with it. :p

My workers however do make contact, and it cost me $100 bucks for the repair on a picky customer.

Most of the vinal sided houses have a concrete base below the siding, allowing for trimmer, or else they have a landscaped area. If you feel a customer might have a problem with some chipping due to exposed siding you could approach them and explain the potential problem, and ways to fix it.

This could be an opportunity to suggest a landscape border that you could install to protect the siding on their home and or garage. It would be a nice way to cause appreciation of the property, increasing value and appearance.

You could explain that damage might occur if they expect you to trim next to the siding, and ask them to hand weed it, or sign a waiver that should you cause damage, you will not be liable.

You could just hand trim the area...not of me... if the area is small and you are willing to do so.

You could create a roundup border, which may not give the best appearance, and this only if you have the proper licience to do so.

I guess the bottom line is, if you think a customer will have a problem with damage, be proactive about it. If you do not, you may be footing the bill.

5. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I have only had it happen on the cheap crap. I have seen it happen a couple of times and its seems to at the corners the most. Good vinal you could sit there with your line hitting it and it will do little dammage like scratching, but the cheap crap it cracks like glass and chips off.
  6. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I have this problem with wooden privacy fences...can really tear up the wood...and most of properties have them.

Nobody, in all the yrs I have been working...has said anything to me about the obvious line trimmer damage. I guess most expect it if they want their grass timmed along the fence.

The only cures, I guess, is the "extra border" thing or roundup.

It's the only responses I've come up with if a customer decides to make an issue out of it anyway. :)